Texas withstands rally, holds on to beat Prairie View A&M 6-3

2014-04-28_Basebal_OSU_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Texas shortstop C.J Hinojosa, pictured (right) in a game against Oklahoma State, led the team at the plate Tuesday night against Prairie View A&M with two hits, two runs scored and two RBIs. Despite a late Panther’s rally, the Longhorns won 6-3. 

With two outs in the top of the sixth inning, it looked like the Longhorns were on their way to a blowout victory — then the Panther comeback started.

Texas (33-13, 10-8 Big 12) was able to withstand a three-run rally by Prairie View A&M (18-25) to pick up a much needed 6-3 victory Tuesday night. The Longhorns pounded the Panthers early and came away with the win, despite being outhit 8-6 in the ball game.

Texas jumped ahead in the bottom of the first with sophomore left fielder Ben Johnson doubling to set up an RBI groundout by freshman catcher Tres Barrera two batters later. Johnson would finish the game with a team-leading two hits.

The Longhorns added another run in the second inning and later erupted for three runs in the fourth behind a two-RBI double by sophomore shortstop C.J Hinojosa, who had two hits to go along with his RBIs. The 5-0 lead would hold up until the sixth inning when the Panthers finally got to junior pitcher Lukas Schiraldi.

Schiraldi held the Panthers to just three hits through the first three innings, but back-to-back singles and a walk set up a bases-clearing triple by junior outfielder Jeff Sealy. Schiraldi left after six innings pitched, with six hits and three earned runs allowed.

An RBI single by junior second baseman Brooks Marlow put the Longhorns up 6-3, a lead which would last the rest of the game, as the Panthers failed to record a hit in the
final three innings.

The win left Texas with a solid mind-set heading into its weekend conference series with West Virginia.