Longhorns sliding down leaderboard at championship

The Longhorns have some work to do if they want to claim their fourth Big 12 title. Texas dropped one spot to third place at the conclusion of the third round of the conference tournament in Hutchinson, Kan., on Tuesday.

Texas heads into tomorrow’s final round and the last 18 holes trailing leader Oklahoma State by 17 strokes. As a team, the Cowboys shot 10-under on Tuesday while the Longhorns went 4-over in the third round. They are still in prime position to make a run in the final round today at 22-over for the tournament, just five strokes behind Texas A&M at 17-over.

Oklahoma State’s Morgan Hoffmann is in the lead for the individual crown at 3-under overall.

Texas sophomore Julio Vegas still sits in a tie for fourth place after he fired a 2-over in round three, putting him at 3-over for the event.

Senior Bobby Hudson and junior Dylan Frittelli didn’t move up or down on the individual leaderboard either after they both shot even-par in the third round. The two are currently tied for 11th place at 6-over for the tournament.

It was an up-and-down round for freshman Toni Hakula, as he alternated birdies and bogeys, and finished the day at 2-over. The youngest Longhorn starter is currently 8-over for the tournament and tied for 19th place.

The last Texas starter, sophomore Cody Gribble, fired a 3-over in the third round to drop to 25th on the individual leaderboard. Gribble is 10-over after two days.

Texas hopes to finish strong, with its eye on closing the modest but achievable gap to first, when it tees off this morning at 8:50 alongside the Cowboys and Aggies.