Heisman hopeful back, ready to start on road

Michigan head coach Rich Rodriguez, fresh off the temporary hot-seat after outlasting Illinois 67-65 in triple overtime at the Big House last Saturday, has announced that he expects quarterback Denard Robinson to start against the Purdue Boilermakers on Saturday.

The Heisman candidate has suffered multiple injuries in the last few weeks, including headaches and dizziness from a couple of jarring hits from the Fighting Illini in the Wolverines’ wild win.

Backup quarterback Tate Forcier, last year’s starter, came into the game in the second half for Robinson and played well, leading his team to victory and helping the two teams combine for more than 1,250 yards and 132 points on the board.

Robinson’s injuries have also hurt what once were high hopes for the Heisman Trophy.

UNC loses leading rusher

Late in the first half of North Carolina’s thrilling 37-35 win at Florida State, the Tar Heels lost top running back Johnny White to a fractured right clavicle. The senior will miss the rest of his final season at Chapel Hill.

White had 720 yards on 130 carries this year, with seven touchdowns on the ground. Under head coach Butch Davis, the Tar Heels are in the midst of a remarkably successful season given the circumstances they are in: playing without many of their top players because of NCAA sanctions.
Quarterback T.J. Yates looks to continue his strong play in a giant matchup with ACC leader No. 20 Virginia Tech this Saturday. Backup signal caller Bryn Renner, a Virginia native, will have to stay ready on the sidelines as the Hokies have been often known to knock starting quarterbacks out of the game in ACC play. Frank Beamer’s squad has won seven straight after two perplexing losses in six days to start the season.

SEC East brawl could decide division race

When the No. 23 South Carolina Gamecocks head down to Gainesville, Fla., this weekend, head coach Steve Spurrier will look to chalk up a huge win over his former team. On the other sideline, Florida head coach Urban Meyer hopes to spur the No. 22 Gators on to another victory after losing three straight games in October.

With both teams sitting atop the SEC East standings with identical 4-3 conference records, this game will go a long way in determining who will likely face No. 2 Auburn in Atlanta for the SEC Championship in early December. Florida is in the top 25 nationally in points scored on defense, while the Gamecocks’ running game is ranked only 72nd in the country despite freshman running back Marcus Lattimore’s breakout opening season.