Longhorns targeting prospects in class of 2012 this offseason

Although the current class of recruits is locked up, the hunt for next year’s prospects has already begun. Here’s an early peak at whom the Longhorns have targeted for the class of 2012:

Cayleb Jones – WR, 6’2”, 195 lbs. (Austin HS – Austin, TX)

The homegrown Austinite has amassed nearly 2,000 yards on 154 receptions as a high school player. He also has 17 touchdowns in his career. Jones can catch just about anything thrown in his direction and has a knack for getting open. Throw in his polished route running skills and he could make an immediate impact when he arrives in the fall of 2012.

Malcom Brown – DT, 6’2”, 280 lbs. (Brenham HS – Brenham, TX)

Not to be confused with the recent running back commit from San Antonio, Brown is one of the best all-around defensive linemen in the 2012 recruiting class. He possesses great athleticism for his size, making him a good option for any position along the defensive line. He pursues the ball extremely well and bursts out of his stance like a track sprinter. His ability to shed blocks using his hands and maintain a low pad level make him a superb run-stopper.

Peter Jinkens – OLB, 6’1”, 210 lbs. (Skyline HS – Dallas, TX)

Logging a time of 4.45 in the 40-yard dash, according to Rivals.com, the linebacker is apt at covering the entire length of the field. Jinkens also rotates in at running back for Skyline High School, adding more than 10 yards per carry to his resume. Already one of the fastest linebackers in the state, he has significant upside once he bulks up. One more year in the weight room could do the trick.

Bryson Echols – CB, 5’9”, 165 lbs. (Desoto HS – Desoto, TX)

While not the most physically imposing player, Echols possesses intangible skills and plays smart football. He’s not afraid to fight for the ball against a much taller receiver and sticks to his man like glue. Don’t let his modest numbers fool you.

Johnathan Gray – RB, 5’10”, 190 lbs. (Aledo HS – Aledo, TX) * undecided

Son of a former Texas Tech star back, James Gray, the young phenom is a runner known around the lone star state for his vision, agility and speed. His versatility makes him a good receiver option as well. Aledo High School has already won two consecutive state championships on the back of Gray, and will look for a third next season. Gray has reportedly narrowed down his interest to Texas, TCU and Texas A&M. His attributes would complement 2011 commit Malcolm Brown nicely in the Longhorn backfield.