Benson leads the pack in fantasy football this week

As we approach October and cap off the first month of NFL action, there is little certainty in the fantasy football world. Here are a few pointers that should help fantasy owners piece the puzzle together and make sense of it all:

Start:
1) Cedric Benson, RB, Green Bay Packers

Benson must be salivating as he looks forward to Sunday, when the New Orleans Saints come Lambeau Field. The Saints haven’t been able to stop anybody this season, allowing Jamaal Charles to rack up 288 total yards of offense last week. Benson has established himself as the primary ball carrier in the Packers’ backfield. Aaron Rodgers will be airing it out against the Saints, but Benson should get valuable touches near the goal line.

2) Vincent Jackson, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jackson has been anything but consistent this season, sandwiching a monster game against the Giants in Week 2 between two lackluster performances in Weeks 1 and 3. However, with the Bucs facing the Washington Redskins and their dreadful secondary, Jackson should be able put up big numbers.

3) Brandon Lloyd, WR, New England Patriots
Given Tom Brady’s ability to spread the ball around, relying on New England receivers is a gamble. However, Lloyd and Brady’s chemistry seems to increase every week, which was most evident in Lloyd’s nine-catch, 108-yard performance against the Ravens last week. Lloyd will remain a consistent threat as long as he keeps getting looks from Brady.

Sit:
1) Ryan Tannehill, QB, Miami Dolphins

Tannehill couldn’t get anything going against the Jets in Week 3, completing less than half of his passes for 196 yards and an interception. Things will not be easier for him against a stout, opportunistic Cardinals defense. He may also be without running back Reggie Bush, who left last game with a knee injury.

2) Anquan Boldin, WR, Baltimore Ravens
Boldin stumbled out of the gate this season, posting single-digit fantasy point totals in twice this year. With Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco relying heavily on his tight ends and running back Ray Rice, Boldin’s presence has been vastly reduced. He could break out as Flacco’s red zone threat, but Boldin is not a reliable fantasy player.

3) Jay Cutler, QB, Chicago Bears
The question is always whether “good Jay” or “bad Jay” will show up on game day. Cutler showed his bad side the past two games, tossing five interceptions and one touchdown. Bears fans and fantasy owners hope Cutler can bounce back Monday night against an improved Dallas Cowboys’ defense,  but that may be asking too much.

Printed on Thursday, September 27, 2012 as: Benson a shrewd fantasy choice