Weekend Recaps

Texas Finishes Fourth in Georgia

No. 15 Texas golf grabbed its fourth top-5 finish this season on Sunday. The Longhorns finished the Schenkel Invitational tied for fourth place with Virginia. 

Host Georgia Southern clinched the team honors with an eight-stroke lead in Statesboro, Ga. Alabama-Birmingham and Central Florida followed the host team before Texas and Virginia claimed a tie for fourth place. 

Junior Kramer Hickok led the team with a sixth-place tie, followed closely by freshman Beau Hossler, who matched his career-best finish at 10th place. 

Senior Toni Hakula and freshman Gavin Hall were plagued by bogeys this Sunday, ultimately recording 72 strokes apiece. Hakula’s and Hall’s final scores earned them 32nd and 53rd place, respectively.

Texas has an open schedule for nearly three weeks until it heads back to Georgia for the Augusta State Invitational April 4-5. 

—James Granberry

Texas pulls through a close 4-3 match despite an injury

The No. 7 men's tennis team defeated No. 13 Wake Forest in a close 4-3 match Thursday at Wake Forest Tennis Complex in Winston-Salem, N.C. 

Texas spent spring break competing, after topping Wake Forest 9-4 in the ITA Kick-Off in January.

Junior Lloyd Glasspool retired early because of injury but not before forcing a third set in his match. Glasspool positioned juniors Clement Homs and junior Soren Hess-Olesen to finish their wins, giving UT a 3-2 lead.

Texas endured three losses at the hands of singles freshman George Goldhoff and doubles duos Glasspool/Hess-Olesen  junior Jacoby Lewis/senior David Holiner. Sophomore Nick Naumann’s win of 6-2, 6-3 resulted in UT’s first point of the match.

Texas will compete 6 p.m. Wednesday against Wichita State at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.

—Brianna Holt

Addison, Batra open Big 12 play with two wins

The No. 22 women's tennis team began Big 12 play on the road this weekend, splitting two contests between Texas Christian and Texas Tech.

On Friday, No. 18 sophomore Breaunna Addison beat TCU’s No. 53 Stefanie Tan in straight sets. Earlier, she teamed up with senior Elizabeth Begley to defeat Tan/Arantekin 8-7.  

Unfortunately, Texas dropped the doubles point for a 5-2 loss.

Texas picked up its first Big 12 win against the Red Raiders, winning the doubles point before Addison, freshmen Ratnika Batra and Pippa Horn earned singles victories. Both Addison and Batra moved to 2-0 in conference play.

The Longhorns were shut out (7-0) last weekend against Michigan as they dropped three matches that went to third sets.

They recovered the next day, winning five singles matches to claim a 5-2 victory over Yale.

Texas faces Iowa State at 6 p.m. Friday at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.

—Chris Caraveo