Weekend Previews

Softball

Texas softball will finish off its fall season Friday when it travels to San Marcos to take on Texas State. The Longhorns will look to continue their dominant play, as they have outscored opponents 43-5 throughout their four games.

Although the offense has produced over 10 runs per game, the pitching has been equally impressive, striking out 46 batters.

Sophomore infielder Kelli Hanzel and freshman outfielder Alyssa Angel have also made their presences felt early. Hanzel has been on a torrid pace throughout the fall, going 5-for-6 with four RBIs. She had her best game of the fall against St. Edward’s, going 2-for-2 with three RBIs.

Situational play was used in Texas’ last outing against St. Edward’s, and the Longhorns may resort to it again versus Texas State.

—Aaron Torres

Women's Soccer

The women’s soccer team will play a semi-final match against No. 9 West Virginia on Friday at 5:30 p.m. in Kansas City, Missouri, after advancing on penalty kicks against No. 10 Texas Tech in the quarterfinal round of the Big 12 tournament.

Texas dropped a 2-0 home contest to West Virginia back in September that started an eight-game Mountaineer winning streak that shows no signs of stopping.

A confident Texas team will not be able to rely on stout defense alone to upset the top-seeded team in the Big 12 tournament. The West Virginia offensive machine is averaging 2.37 goals per game, and four Mountaineers have at least five goals on the season.

Fortunately for the Longhorns, junior midfielder Chantale Campbell has played her best soccer in the Big 12 Championship, notching five points over her career in the tournament, including a crucial penalty kick against Texas Tech on Wednesday. 

—Daniel Clay

Women's Swimming and Diving

The long-standing tradition of competing against the Aggies may have come to a close in football, but, Friday, the rivalry will be reignited in the pool. The No. 2 Texas women’s swimming and diving team will host Texas A&M at the Lee & Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center on Friday at 4 p.m.

The last time these two teams met in College Station in 2013, the Aggies trailed Texas at the start of the final event but pulled ahead to barely secure a 152-148 win. This time around, both teams enter into this Texas showdown undefeated — Texas (5-0) and Texas A&M (3-0) — as a result of two victorious Halloween weekend outings.

Texas defeated No. 1 Cal by a 161-139 margin and No. 4 Stanford by a narrower 156-144 win to move up to No. 2 — the highest for Texas under third-year head coach Carol Capitani. No. 9 Texas A&M took first in 12 of 13 events this past weekend against the University of Houston (140-95) and the University of North Texas (140-86).

The grueling grind will continue for the Longhorns Friday as they look to keep the streak going against an Aggie team that is yet to go against a top-10 team this year. 

—Samantha Halbach