Shane Buechele steals the show at the spring game

Last week, head coach Charlie Strong announced that he would not name a starting quarterback at the end of spring practices.

However, actions speak louder than words.

Strong made the decision to start senior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes, but the Orange-White Scrimmage quickly turned into the Shane Buechele show.

“Buechele made some really good throws and was able to manage the offense,” Strong said. “The thing I really like about the offense is that it creates a lot of pressure on the defense.”

The true freshman quarterback broke the scoring open with a deep 27-yard pass down the left sideline hitting junior wide receiver Armanti Foreman just inside the pylon for the touchdown.

But Buechele wasn’t done.

Buechele continued the Texas scoring after hitting sophomore wide receiver John Burt in stride deep down the right sideline for a 65-yard touchdown pass. Texas defeated the Horns 21-7, with three of the four touchdowns coming on drives when Buechele was under center.

“The day he stepped on this campus, he has been a guy who you know is going to be relaxed,” Strong said. “Nothing is going to fluster him.”

Buechele received many “oohs” and “aahs” for many of his throws in front of his first crowd at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, leaving many of the fans, and his teammates, in awe.

“I thought [Buechele] played real well,” sophomore running back Chris Warren said. “He was real composed for how young he was, but he’s a hard worker, and he’s been out there grinding in the spring, so I wasn’t too surprised but still I couldn’t help but be surprised.”

Buechele finished the game 22-of-41 for 299 yards and two touchdowns, but offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert said the quarterback position isn’t set in stone.

“We still have a lot of work to do,” Gilbert said. “We still got a lot of football left. We’ve got the summer. We’ve got two-a-days. There’s still a lot of process. By no means did anyone play perfect today. There’s still work to be done.”