30: Managing editor says goodbye after realizing she has to leave at some point

1205_MelWestfall_Jackie180
Melanie Westfall

Editor’s note: A 30 column is a chance for departing permanent staff to say farewell and reflect on their time spent in The Daily Texan basement office. The term comes from the typesetting mark (—30—) to denote the end of a line. 

I’m a simple person. I love sleep. I hate saying goodbye. This semester has been particularly bad for both of those things. 

I planned on leaving The Daily Texan three semesters ago but decided at the last minute that I would stay one more. A year and a half later, I was still here and realized I had spent most of my college life in The Daily Texan basement, accruing quite a stash of ketchup packets and Chick-fil-A sauces along the way. I may have ditched all appearance of a healthy diet and lifestyle this fall, but I am so proud of what we have done this semester at the Texan.

A few Daily Texan alumni reminisced about their days in the office when they’d stay up until 6 a.m. together after they put the paper to bed. And all I could think was, “My life’s goal is to go to sleep by midnight,” which is not the most achievable goal to have when you’re a part of a newspaper, but a girl can dream.

But I am grateful for the hours I spent with fellow Texan staffers, no matter how many naps I gave up. The basement office is home, and through the Texan, I found a family
on campus.

Thank you Iliana and Megan, for being dedicated to this paper and a wonderful support system this semester. I couldn’t have asked for a better team. Here’s to all the P. Terry’s we ate and the presidential debates we trudged through.

Thank you Amy and Nick, for your friendship, the happy hours and the Spurs love. Nick dancing with Drake last spring will always be one of my favorite memories.

Thank you Peter, for your sage advice, your passion for strange basement-specific Olympic events and also bringing Phoebe to the office.

Thank you department heads, for the privilege of working with you and also for the cute puppies and strange Youtube videos you shared. You all did an amazing job growing your departments, developing your staffers and laying the groundwork for next semester. I can say goodbye to the Texan knowing the paper will be in good hands.

Thank you Gerald, Emily, Stephen, Frank for your constant support and answering my many questions. You can stop thanking me, Colton.

Thank you to my friends and family, for understanding my unwieldy schedule and loving me even when I was a mess.

And thank you, Mommy. I would not be here without your encouragement and love. You are the best person and the best mom. (Sorry, other moms.) I love you very much.

­—30—