UT in New York program brings Texans to NYC

UTRanking_915_2016-07-10_Tower_Fountain_Stock_Zoe
Zoe Fu

The city that never sleeps will become a new home for selected students in the Moody College of Communication, McCombs School of Business and College of Fine Arts through the new UT in New York program. 

UT is working with the New York State Board of Education to gain approval for the UT in New York program to host its inaugural class next fall. The online applications will be open throughout November to students within the three colleges, with limited spots available for students outside the three colleges. Students can expect to earn 12 hours of course credit while living and interning in New York.

“Our tagline is, ‘If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere,’” said Michael Wilson, assistant dean of external relations in the Moody College of Communication. “New Yorkers are faster-paced than Texans, but both people are proud of their states, cities and cultures.”

Wilson said the program is modeled after the existing UT in Los Angeles program, which allows UT students in the Moody College to work and study in LA and has hosted 1,600 students since 2005.

New York City might offer critical networking experiences for students, Wilson said.

“New York offers a different pace,” Wilson said. “Deals are made in elevator runs. New York is just one thing that you can add to your résumé and when you have that, you can say you’ve spent six months living and working in NYC and that gives you extra lift as you are competing for jobs.”

Doug Dempster, dean of the College of Fine Arts, said the program will not be “educational tourism” like some study abroad programs. He said students in the program should be focused on gaining professional experience.

“One of the things students learn in the real world is that your hand won’t be held every step of the way,” Dempster said. “Students have to be self-starters and energetic and know what they want.”

Public relations sophomore Susie Porier said she has been to New York, because she has family in the area and is interested in applying.

“The city is big and busy, but everyone fits in,” Porier said. “Calling New York ‘the city that never sleeps’ is not a lie, because at 3 o’clock in the morning you can still hear people. It’s a good place to be.”