Texas wideout Lil’Jordan Humphrey declares for NFL Draft

FullSizeRender
Katie Bauer

After a breakout junior season, Texas wide receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey announced Tuesday afternoon that he will forgo his senior season and declare for the NFL Draft.

“It has not been an easy decision, but after a lot of thoughts and prayers, I have decided to forgo my senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft,” Humphrey said in a post on his Twitter page. “I’m forever grateful to be a part of a family that was so close together. I loved my time at UT. I’m going to represent UT on and off the field as I move forward in my career to take care of my family and all the communities that I can.”

Humphrey’s decision comes after one of the best single-season performances by a Texas wide receiver in school history. During the 2018 season, Humphrey tallied 86 receptions for 1,176 yards, which both rank in the top five in school history for their respective categories. His nine receiving touchdowns on the year also put him at seventh among all Longhorn receivers during a season.

An incredibly physical receiver with outstanding size, Humphrey will now turn his attention toward preparing for the NFL Draft.

With Humphrey’s decision, the Longhorn coaching staff must find a way to replace one of their best weapons on the offensive side of the ball. But good news on that front came just two days after Texas’ Sugar Bowl victory against Georgia when junior receiver Collin Johnson announced he would be returning for his senior season. Johnson recorded 68 catches for 985 yards and seven touchdowns during the 2018 season.

And while Humphrey’s departure will signal a blow to the Longhorn receiver corps, Texas will return Johnson and seven other receivers who caught passes this season that look primed to shore up the loss.