Connor and Camille SG campaign disqualified for overspending

2020-02-25_SG Debate_Jamie
Jamie Hwang

The campaign for student body president and vice president candidates Connor Alexander and Camille Johnson was disqualified from running Monday night after being issued two fines exceeding the amount of spending allowed.

The campaign was issued the first fine for 28% of their $511 spending budget over the weekend for failing to register campaign materials for approval before posting on social media, according to an Election Supervisory Board resolution. Government seniors Alexander and Johnson appealed the violation, but the appeal was denied Monday.

A Monday night board hearing, which took place before the Student Government election, and board deliberations during the debate issued a second fine, said Wes Dodson, Student Government Supreme Court chief justice. 

Dodson said the two fines were added to the 88.45% of funds the campaign had already spent, totaling 121.45%, which exceeded the 120% spending limit and resulted in automatic disqualification, according to the Student Government Election Code.

Alexander said in an email to The Daily Texan editor-in-chief that despite being disqualified, the campaign has a strong case for appeal for the second fine, which if granted would lift their suspension.

Alexander and Johnson did not respond to request for comment Monday night.

Editor's Note: This story has been updated to correct the spelling of Camille Johnson and the Board hearing time.