Resident of off-campus dorm Scottish Rite Dormitory tests positive for COVID-19

Scottish_Rite_Dormitory
Courtesy of The Daily Texan YouTube

A resident of the Scottish Rite Dormitory, a private off-campus women’s dormitory north of UT’s main campus, has tested positive for COVID-19. 

SRD director Mary Mazurek announced the case in an email Sunday addressed to SRD residents and parents. The email, which was provided to The Daily Texan by a recipient of the email, said SRD staff has completed internal contact tracing and notified residents in the immediate area of the infected person.

The resident was moved to an isolation room at SRD upon notification of their exposure and has since returned home at the time of the email, Mazurek wrote in the email. SRD officials were not immediately available to comment.

Contact tracing revealed that the infected resident was not exposed to the virus by another resident or staff member of SRD, Mazurek wrote. According to the UT COVID-19 dashboard, 37 UT students, faculty and staff have tested positive or reported testing positive for COVID-19 since the beginning of August.

“Maintaining a safe and healthy environment at SRD and ensuring that the building remains open and operational continues to be a top priority of ours,” Mazurek said in the email. “We will continue to perform the additional cleaning and disinfecting measures throughout the common areas.”

The dormitory is following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines to clean and disinfect facilities, Mazurek said.