Duren Residence Hall evacuated early Tuesday morning due to faulty water flow detector

Lauren Abel and Sheryl Lawrence

Residents evacuated Duren Residence Hall due to a fire alarm into below-freezing weather and about 6 inches of snow at 1:47 a.m. Tuesday. 

Resident assistants directed students to shelter in Kinsolving Residence Hall and the Honors Quad before bringing them back to their rooms at 2:21 a.m. The Austin Fire Department was called to the scene and allowed students to return to their dorms once they determined there was no threat in Duren.

Cynthia Lew, director of marketing and communications for University Housing and Dining, said the alarm was triggered by a water flow detector.

“There was a faulty water flow detector that triggered the alarm system, but there was no water flow problem, and the detector is being replaced today,” Lew said.

There are 180 students with contracts at Duren Residence Hall, but staff was unable to confirm how many were in residence Tuesday.

Philosophy freshman Jocelyne Covarrubias said her resident assistant was also not informed of what was going on, leaving students confused. 

“We were evacuated and taken to Kinsolving dormitory for about 20 minutes and then let back in once they got the all clear from the firefighters and police officers,” Covarrubias said.