What to expect from SXSW Online’s seven main conference themes

Jennifer Errico

Editor’s Note: This story first appeared in The Daily Texan’s March 10 print edition.

2020 posed a myriad of questions to people around the world, and the experts speaking at South by Southwest 2021 are proposing answers.

SXSW Online 2021, which will take place March 16-21, consists of more than 230 conference sessions divided into seven main themes. Chief programming officer Hugh Forrest said using themes to provide structure for the conference is a new approach and will amplify the speakers’ platform to showcase creative solutions and discuss problems within their industries.

“The seven themes … provided us a lot of flexibility,” Forrest said. “(We have) sessions covering some of our most immediate pandemic-related challenges and then, on the other end of the spectrum, big-picture futuristic content.”

Forrest said he and his team have been working on the 2021 themes since February 2020.

After some intense brainstorming, they finalized the seven themes in mid-June.

The Daily Texan has expanded on the meaning behind each theme to help attendees better understand the intentions of the conference.

A New Urgency

2020 was a year of awakening — shedding light on racial injustice, poverty, nationalism and the climate crisis, all through the lens of a global pandemic. A New Urgency poses the question:

“What advancements are necessary to create lasting progress within society?” From sessions like “Can Democracy Survive #FakeNews?” to “COVID-19: Playing the Long Game,” attendees will hear leaders in business, technology and government discuss how to solve the problems of tomorrow.

Challenging Tech’s Path Forward

By focusing on its current failings, the technology industry is innovating new paths to expand the consumer base of their products. Sessions such as “Reinventing the Wheel(chair): Inequity and Disability” show new advancements.

Cultural Resilience in the Arts

Among turmoil and chaos, inspiration is born. Learn how the music, film and visual art industries will evolve as they embrace creative projects inspired by the events of 2020 and years to come. CEO of Odad Truth Records, Glenn “Daddy-o” Bolton, will address how music expresses cultural movements that mark history in his segment “The Medium and the Message: Revolution in Music.”

The Rebirth of Business

The Rebirth of Business examines capitalism’s ability to create an equitable system across race, gender and class in both small companies and major corporations. Kendra Scott, CEO and founder of Kendra Scott, and Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, will discuss the importance of entrepreneurship on the local level in their segment “Beyond the Tank: Investing in Your Community.”

Transforming the Entertainment Landscape

Reformation within the entertainment industry has always paralleled changes in society. The music, film, television, sports and gaming industries are adjusting to new consumer habits, technological advancements and an increased desire to highlight social issues. Explore how holograms may be transforming the music industry with Microsoft’s Jason Waskey or how growing industries face adversity with ESPN’s Stephania Bell.

Connection in Disconnection

During a year of distance and isolation, people have turned to online outlets to foster a sense of community. With sessions such as “The Looming Mental Health Crisis Tsunami” or “Introspection + Empathy: Building a Kinder Future,” experts will explore how to return to a pre-pandemic society that embraces the value of humanity over individual concerns.

An Uncharted Future

Attendees will explore how quantum physics, radical life extension and consumer space travel are part of our immediate future. Dmitri Julius, chief people officer at ICON, will discuss 3D printing homes to reduce homelessness and Rob Mueller from NASA will present how a human habitat could be designed and executed on Mars.