Shooting leaves 3 dead near The Arboretum, suspect arrested Monday morning

Tori Duff

TW: Discussions of gun violence, sexual assault

Editor’s Note: This is a developing situation. The Daily Texan will update this story as more information becomes available.

Update: 9:45 a.m. Monday

Stephen Broderick was taken into custody as a suspect for the shooting Monday morning after police received reports of a man walking on Old Kimbro Road outside of Manor. Officers confirmed Broderick’s identity and arrested him, though he was armed.

Two of the three people killed in the shooting have been identified as former and current students Alyssa Broderick and Willie Simmons III by the Elgin school district. 

Alyssa was a student in the school district from 2009 to October 2020, when she withdrew, while Simmons was a current senior at Elgin High School, according to a statement from the district.

Update: 5:21 p.m. Sunday

Authorities lifted the shelter in place notice for the area around the shooting around 4:45 p.m. Chacon said that officers have exhausted every effort in searching the area for the suspect, and it is now a “fugitive search.” Residents can leave their homes and places of business but are advised to remain vigilant.

Original story: 4:18 p.m. Sunday

Three people were pronounced dead after the Austin Police Department responded to reports of an active shooter at Great Hills Trail and Rain Creek Parkway on Sunday afternoon.

Law enforcement entities are searching for Stephen Nicholas Broderick, who was tentatively identified as the shooter during a media briefing held by APD Interim Police Chief Joe Chacon at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Broderick is currently still active and has not been placed in custody, and Chacon advised Austin residents to shelter in place until a suspect is in custody. 

Chacon said while the search is still active, APD is not classifying the case as an active shooter at the time as they believe the shootings were targeted at the specific victims. Preliminary evidence shows that Broderick knew the victims. Chacon said that there is concern Broderick may take a hostage while evading law enforcement. 

Law enforcement is issuing a photo of the suspect and asking those in the area to report any sightings. Chacon said Broderick is a 5-foot-7-inch male with an average build, who was last seen wearing a grey hoodie, sunglasses and a baseball cap.

Chacon said that Broderick may have a background in law enforcement, but did not confirm this detail. According to the Austin-American Statesman, Broderick is a former Travis County Sheriff’s Office detective. In June 2020, Broderick was accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl and arrested on felony charges.

Police originally received a 911 call regarding the shooting at 11:42 a.m. Sunday. Those in the area were sent a reverse 911 message around 11:46 a.m., once officers assessed the scene to advise them of the situation and notify them to shelter in place. 

The identities of the victims are still currently unknown at the time of this report, but Chacon described them as two Hispanic adult women and one Black adult man.

APD currently does not have a last known direction of travel for the suspect and could not confirm if he is on foot or traveling by vehicle. Chacon said it is likely he may shelter in place as law enforcement searches for him on the ground and by helicopter.

During the briefing, commander Mike Benavides, an Austin Travis County EMS Public Information Officer, said those in the vicinity of the search area may be given an alternative response when calling 911 for a medical emergency or request relating to an officer. If someone requires an ambulance, a different response may be sent instead.