UT Health Austin scales back COVID vaccination efforts, moves vaccine hub

Sheryl Lawrence

UT Health Austin will move the COVID-19 vaccination hub site and scale back vaccination efforts after administering more than 120,000 vaccinations, according to a Friday email sent to the UT community.

The hub will move from Gregory Gym to the Health Transformation Building, located at Trinity and 17th streets. May 7 is the last day to receive a first dose of the Pfizer vaccine at Gregory Gym, and May 28 is the last day to receive a second dose at the gym. 

Walk-up appointments will continue to be available at Gregory Gym for the first dose of the vaccine until May 7. After that, walk-ups will be available at the HTB, said Veronica Trevino, media manager for UT Financial and Administrative Services.

Daily vaccination rates for the United States have decreased in recent weeks, according to The Washington Post. This could be an indication that demand for the vaccine is decreasing, even though all adults in the U.S. are now eligible for the vaccine, according to The Post. 

Trevino said vaccination operations were originally located at HTB before UT Health Austin needed a larger space to serve as a Department of State Health Services-designated vaccine hub. Due to increased vaccination access across the country, they no longer need as much space. 

“Vaccine supply has increased state and nation-wide, and (vaccines are) now available through many different sites allowing for supply to meet demand,” Trevino said in an email.

Trevino said volunteers are not currently needed for the new vaccination site. 

Trevino said parking will be available in the Health Center Garage, which is connected to the HTB. Cost and additional details will be determined at a later date, she said. 

UT Health Austin is requesting that those who wish to be vaccinated fill out a COVID-19 vaccination request form on their website. Community members who wish to get vaccinated at Gregory Gym must fill out the form before May 7. The same form will be used for vaccinations at the HTB.

The University announced plans on April 15 to offer vaccines to the entire UT community by July and adjust COVID-19 guidelines for the fall as students, staff and faculty continue to get vaccinated.