Texas men’s golf ties for 7th at the Colonial Collegiate Invitational

Payne Williams, Sports Reporter

Led by Travis Vick’s six birdie performance and Pierceson Coody’s consistent performance through three rounds, the Longhorns finished seventh at the Colonial Collegiate Invitational last weekend.

The fifteen-team field in Fort Worth consisted of several Big 12 teams in addition to teams out of the Pac-12, SEC and ACC. Big 12 foes Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and TCU all edged out  Texas, but the Longhorns weren’t without impressive performances.

Coody, a senior, and juniors Vick and Mason Nome led the way Monday. The senior finished Monday with a one-over-par, enough to put him in a tie for 12th individually.

Texas’ best single round performance, though, came from Vick, who claimed six birdies in the opening round Monday on his way to a two-under-par performance. Nome was the only other Longhorn to score under-par on either of Monday’s rounds where he landed four birdies and a tally of one-under-par in round two. Nome and Vick finished Monday tied for 18th and 21st respectively.

Seniors Parker Coody and Cole Hammer rounded out Texas’ lineup Monday. Parker tied for 37th individually after a 6-over performance on Day 1 and Hammer, tied for 50th, finished Monday at 8-over-par.

The Longhorns  headed into Tuesday’s final round holding a tie for sixth place and a card of 6-over-par, but ended the second and final day of competition three strokes behind TCU and in a seventh place tie with Georgia.

Tuesday’s lead finisher for Texas was Vick who scored a one-under-69, enough to finish him in a tie for 13th individually. Similar to his round one performance, Pierceson Coody finished Tuesday 1-over-par in an 11th place tie. Nome and Hammer each carded a 4-over-74 on Tuesday, placing them in a tie for 28th and 54th respectively, and Parker Coody finished his competition with a 7-over-77. The final count for Texas was 18-over-par and a final score of 858.

Finishing first in the Big 12 and second overall was Oklahoma posting a 2-under-par and a final score of 838, falling one stroke behind Stanford after the Cardinal’s dominant 11-under performance in Tuesday’s final round. Shining for Oklahoma was redshirt senior Chris Gotterup and senior Logan McAllister who both tied for third individually at 3-under-par.

Oklahoma State junior Brian Stark finished one stroke behind Gotterup and McAllister carding a 2-under and a sixth-place individual finish to help carry the Cowboys to third overall at Colonial, tied with Wake Forest. In addition to TCU’s sixth-place finish, Baylor fell to last place after Tuesday’s final round, which wraps up the Big 12’s performance in Fort Worth.

Texas faces conference competitors and the hot clubs across the Red River in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in next week’s Big 12 match play. The Longhorns enter match play ranked No. 6 in GolfWeek’s most recent rankings, and their  elite roster will look to finish first above strong Big 12 competitors.