The Texan suggests unique date options in Austin

Peyton Sims, Life & Arts General Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the September 21 flipbook. 

In the heart of Austin with a special someone? Don’t waste time trying to find something to do. Whether it’s a first date, an anniversary or simply just because, the Daily Texan has compiled a list of unique date ideas.

Drive-in Movie 

Cuddle up and catch a classic film, like “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” or a new blockbuster, like “Candyman,” under the stars at the Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In on Franklin avenue.

The theater’s owner, Josh Frank, said Blue Starlite boasts the “perfect date spot.”

“I got the idea looking for a unique way to take my gal (to) a one-of-a-kind night out in Austin for our six month anniversary of dating,” Frank said. “We’re married now, and I spend my days creating more and more unique versions of that special date.” 

Gaze at the Austin Skyline 

There’s nothing like looking at the Austin city skyline at night — especially in the right spot. With an unforgettable view of Austin over Lady Bird Lake, Lou Neff Point at Zilker Park serves as a great spot for sunrises and sunsets.

Radio-television-film freshman Assad Malik said he spent his best dates enjoying the Austin skyline with his girlfriend. 

“You can sit down and just look at the really nice view and connect with whoever you’re going on a date with,” Malik said. “My favorite part from when I went on a date was when me and my girlfriend both took photos of the skyline together, and then we just sat there and talked about our future plans.”  

Dine at Gino’s Italian Restaurant 

Want to eat out? Try Gino’s Vino Osteria, an Italian restaurant with live entertainment such as celebrity impressions.

Owner Gino Catanucci contends that his restaurant, an “old fashioned supper club,” makes the right food and environment for the perfect date.

“All of our pasta and all of our entrees, bread, ravioli and tortellini is made in the restaurant,” Catanucci said. “Most importantly of all, our atmosphere exudes amore.” 

Plan a picnic worth remembering

What’s cuter (and more affordable) than packing your own food for a picnic with your date? Throughout Austin, places for picnics include the UT turtle pond, Zilker Park or Shoal Creek. 

Business freshman Sydney Dwyer said she enjoys going to Pease Park at Shoal Creek. 

“You can relax on a giant net suspended in the trees and just cloud watch,” Dwyer said. “Unique dates like this are so much more fun than your classic dinner.” 

Vintage date activities 

Sometimes, the simplest dates can bring you the closest to your partner. Browse local thrift shops, like Buffalo Exchange at 29th and Guadalupe street; book stores, like Book People at 6th and Lamar; and record shops, like Antone’s Record Shop at 29th and Guadalupe, to learn each other’s personal fashion, reading and music taste.