4 coffee shops to visit on National Cappuccino Day

Carolyn Parmer

With coffee shops on almost every corner, Austin offers a wide range of drinks for hot and iced coffee lovers alike. To celebrate National Cappuccino Day on Nov. 8, The Daily Texan compiled a list of local coffee shops and its fan-favorite espresso drinks.  

Monkey Nest (5353 Burnet Road)

Adventurous coffee drinkers can go wild at this cozy shop with creations like the Spicy Monkey Mocha — a blend of cayenne pepper, cinnamon and mocha — and the Monkey’s Uncle — a blend of banana, peanut butter and mocha. The Thai iced coffee, a longtime favorite of biology senior Angella Baby, packs a punch with its strong coffee and sweet condensed milk. 

“(My friends and I) have gone to Monkey Nest a lot for studying, and their Thai coffee is so good,” Baby said. “I really like Thai tea, so it was really cool to see the two flavors come together and compliment each other really well.”

Jo’s Hot Coffee Good Food (1300 S. Congress Ave. + other locations)

What’s better than delicious coffee, scrumptious breakfast tacos and Austin’s iconic “I love you so much” mural? Jo’s provides all three of these attractions, and its sweet syrups keep business freshman Brooke Butler coming back. 

“My favorite coffee place is definitely Jo’s on South Congress,” Butler said. “I love their Turbo. It’s one of the best coffees I’ve ever had. … It’s a lot of super sweet syrup, and I really like sweet, milky coffee.”

Neighbor Coffee & Friends (5000 Burnet Road) 

With a staff as friendly as its name, this coffee truck offers fun flavors, such as spiced cookie and spiced pumpkin, as well as four preparation methods of black coffee — drip, pour over, French press and Chemex. Their vanilla lavender latte holds a special place in management information systems senior Riya Chopra’s heart. 

“I really like lavender, so I got their vanilla lavender latte, and I got it iced,” Chopra said. “Some places overdo the lavender so it tastes like flowers in your drink, but I think because (Neighbor Coffee) paired it with vanilla, it tasted really good.”

LeverCraft (3307 Oak Springs Drive)

Once a trailer, LeverCraft now serves as a cozy coffee shop. While this establishment offers traditional drinks like lattes and cappuccinos, graduate student Quyen Dinh enjoys the more creative drinks. Along with the espresso, she loves the Freddo, a milk foam blend.

“LeverCraft has the best chai, and I like to get mine dirty, with espresso,” Dinh said. “They also have (the) Freddo, (which) tastes really good on top of the chai.”