UT-Austin Student Government assembly introduces articles of impeachment, calls to ask students whether they support ‘The Eyes of Texas’

Kaushiki Roy, News Reporter

Student Government representatives called to remove executive board members and the assembly voted to include whether students support the Eyes of Texas as the official school song in the February election ballot at an assembly meeting Tuesday.

SG members called to impeach Student Body President Kiara Kabbara and remove communications director Madison Brown and financial director Grant Marconi, executive board members who refused to resign from their positions after the assembly held a vote of no confidence two weeks ago. The assembly may hold a tentative special session next week to vote on the removals and impeachment. The assembly also voted unanimously to pass a resolution that would support a referendum compiling student perspectives on whether to remove “The Eyes of Texas” as the school song.

“Regrettably, dysfunction has continued to dominate our deliberations,” said Walker Adams, LBJ school representative. “We have the opportunity tonight to embrace the values listed in our constitution’s preamble and restore accountability, transparency and responsibility and keep this legislative body viable without the efforts of those here.”

Government and sociology junior Amanda Garcia said members can use the impeachment as an opportunity to make SG more efficient.

“This could be an opportunity for us to be able to step up and use our positionality in a way that is more responsible and advocates on a more aggressive level to administration and … get our ideas and our opinions on the table,” Garcia said.

Kevin Roberts, a government junior, said this has been introduced once before.

“The first time we introduced this was back in September. We didn’t bring it to a vote,” Roberts said.  “I essentially did my homework here and got the support behind it and we’re bringing it back up now after four months of lobbying and getting support behind this.”

Roberts said because the referendum passed the vote, the bill will be included in SG elections on Feb. 28. If enough of the student body votes against the song in February, the decision will then go to University administration which will decide whether to remove it or not.

“The solution to this is to create a study committee,” Roberts said. “This study committee will be made of students, alumni, faculty and admin and they will craft a new song that is inclusive to students and has widespread support on campus as well.”

Roberts said if the song is removed, he plans to introduce a study committee to craft a new song that is inclusive to students and has campus support. He said the committee would consist of students, alumni, faculty and administration members.

“The students were left out of the process (to decide the school song),” Roberts said. “This merely just allows students to say that maybe the song should change, should there be enough support behind it.”

Editor’s Note: An earlier headline for this story stated that the UT Student Government assembly called for the removal of ‘The Eyes of Texas’ in its Nov. 30 meeting.  The headline has since been corrected to say the UT Student Government Assembly called to ask students whether they support ‘The Eyes of Texas.’ Additionally, a section in the earlier version of this story stated that Student Government representatives voted unanimously to remove “The Eyes of Texas” as the official school song. This information is false and has since been corrected to say Student Government representatives voted to include whether students support “The Eyes of Texas” as the official school song in the February election ballot. The Texan regrets these errors.