Heisman Watch: Week 9

Ethan Ferguson, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the October 29 Double Coverage flipbook.

Bryce Young – Quarterback

Alabama quarterback Bryce Young continues to be the frontrunner in odds to win the Heisman come December. With 2,453 yards and 26 touchdowns this season, Young has the second-best quarterback rating at 88.5. The Crimson Tide has lost just once this season by three points to an unranked Texas A&M team, and is now No. 3 in the nation heading into a bye week before facing LSU. The Tide has faced tough competition so far, including current No. 10 Ole Miss. Young has thrown just three interceptions in eight games, one in each of the first three matchups. In the past two weeks, the sophomore hasn’t contributed a turnover on offense.

Matt Corral – Quarterback

Pittsburgh’s redshirt senior Kenny Pickett is finding his name in the Heisman discussion as of late. With 2,236 yards and 23 touchdowns, Pickett has thrown just one interception and is ranked third in the Heisman contention with a quarterback rating of 88.1. Pickett’s one interception came in Week 3 in a devastating three point loss to Western Michigan. However, the New Jersey product was able to convert for six touchdowns and 382 yards, proving himself Heisman-worthy early on in the season. Since then, Pickett has used his experience, knowledge and strong scrambling ability to win Pitt’s last four matchups against tough opponents such as Clemson in Week 8. Expect another strong performance from Pickett on Saturday as No. 17 Pitt takes on Miami at home and the redshirt senior looks to further solidify his Heisman odds.

Kenny Pickett – Quarterback

Similar to that of Texas, the Ole Miss Rebels have found themselves excluded from Heisman Trophy conversations. The last Rebel to receive the invitation to New York was Eli Manning in 2003. Starting quarterback Matt Corral finds himself in a similar position to Manning, ranked second in the Heisman odds at Week 9 in the college football season. With 1,913 total yards on the season, Corral has 15 touchdowns and just one interception. The only loss Ole Miss has seen through Week 8 came from the hands of reigning national champions the Alabama Crimson Tide, whose star NFL wide receiver DeVonta Smith became a member of the Heisman club last December. Corral’s Heisman odds could be drastically altered against the No. 18 Auburn Tigers come Saturday as the race to New York is further established.

Caleb Williams – Quarterback

After earning the starting position behind Spencer Rattler in Week 6 against Texas, Williams has shown immense promise, recently throwing his name into the Heisman conversation. Against Texas, the Sooners were down 7-28 at the end of the first quarter before head coach Lincoln Riley made the executive decision to bench Rattler. Opening up the second quarter with a 66-yard touchdown run, Williams was able to ignite a comeback win for the Sooners. Williams has thrown for 787 yards and eight touchdowns with one interception this season for No. 4 Oklahoma, having started in just two games. The true freshman has a quarterback rating of 95.6 heading into a Week 9 matchup against Texas Tech.