Heisman Watch: Week 11

Ethan Ferguson, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the November 12 Double Coverage flipbook.

Kenneth Walker III – Running Back 

Coming off his best game of the season against now-No. 7 Michigan, Kenneth Walker III and the Spartans hoped  to continue their undefeated season through Week 10. This was not the case. No. 3 Michigan State suffered a 40-29 loss to Purdue, who had previously beaten No. 2 Iowa in Week 7. Even with the loss and his first fumble of the season, Walker is still in the Heisman conversation. Through 22 rushing attempts, Walker acquired 136 yards and one rushing touchdown with an average of 6.2 yards per carry, bringing in two receptions totalling 20 yards. On the season, the junior has 1,330 yards on 197 attempts averaging 6.8 yards per carry. He also has 15 touchdowns to his name. Walker and the Spartans will look to take on Maryland on Saturday and Ohio State the following week as the running back hopes to strengthen his Heisman odds. No. 3 Michigan State will take on Maryland in Week 11 and No. 5 Ohio State in Week 12.

Caleb Williams – Quarterback

Coming off a bye week in Week 10, Caleb Williams and the No. 8 Oklahoma Sooners have a ranked matchup this week against No. 12 Baylor. Williams has a current quarterback rating of 161.6, a completion rate of 64%, two touchdowns and 212 yards against top 25 teams. The freshman has thrown just one interception this season in 109 attempts and has 14 touchdowns to his name. If Williams can match the performance of his past matchups against a stout Baylor defense, then his Heisman stock will be sure to rise in the coming weeks.

Bryce Young – Quarterback

Following a 20-14 win over LSU in Week 10, Bryce Young remains the front-runner to win this season’s Heisman Trophy. The Crimson Tide increased its record to 8–1 on the season, as Young earned 302 yards and two touchdowns on the day. The sophomore had a completion rate of 64.9% on 37 attempted passes and averaged 8.2 yards per catch. Young was sacked four times against the Tigers and the Aggies, to which the Tide fell to an unranked Texas A&M team. Up to this point of the season, Young has a total completion rate of 69.4% and 2,755 yards of offense. In addition, Young has 28 touchdowns with just three interceptions on the year. Young will look to further solidify his Heisman odds against the 1–8 New Mexico State Aggies in Week 11.

Matt Corral – Quarterback

Following a dominant 27-14 win against Liberty, Matt Corral and the No. 16 Ole Miss Rebels have their hands full this week against No. 14 Texas A&M at home. In Week 10, Corral threw for 324 yards and one touchdown on 20-27 passing. Corral has only thrown just two interceptions, which is a drastic improvement from his junior season where he threw 14 interceptions. If Corral and the Rebels can find a way to defeat the Aggies on Saturday, it will be as if Corral never left the Heisman conversation.