Longhorns showed up in big moments in Week 9 of NFL action

Payne Williams, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the November 12 Double Coverage flipbook.

Colt McCoy

Texas legend and Arizona Cardinals backup quarterback Colt McCoy took full advantage of his start in an NFC West divisional matchup. Despite a last-minute decision that quarterback Kyler Murray would be out with a sprained left ankle and star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins would also be inactive, McCoy led the Cardinals to a dominant victory over a divisional rival, the San Francisco 49ers. McCoy threw only four incompletions on 26 pass attempts and a touchdown on his way to a 119.4 passer rating and a 31-17 victory. While McCoy has failed to establish his position as a franchise quarterback in the NFL, he displayed just how important a good backup quarterback can be, and made it work without one of the league’s best receivers on Sunday.

Justin Tucker

In usual, but not surprising fashion, Justin Tucker nailed the game-winning field goal to push the Baltimore Ravens over the Minnesota Vikings in an overtime thriller. In Week 3 of NFL play, Tucker set an NFL record for the longest made field goal on a game-winner, and he ran it back this week. In a wild series of events in overtime, Baltimore had control of the ball with under a minute left, eventually leaving the game up to Tucker. The former Texas star nailed the 36-yard game-winner to move the Ravens to 6–2 and keep possession of the AFC North.

Devin Duvernay

On the offensive side of the ball for the Baltimore Ravens, Devin Duvernay recorded a few receptions including a spectacular touchdown grab. On second-and-goal in the fourth quarter, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson threw a dart to Duvernay in the back of the endzone which he secured, tipping it with one hand and then reeling it in with both hands, all while staying in bounds. After Duvernay’s first receiving touchdown of the season and Justin Tucker’s extra point, Baltimore took a 31-24 lead late in the game against Minnesota.

Caden Sterns

Caden Sterns put the virtual nail in the Dallas Cowboys’ coffin Sunday through his late-game interception. During the Broncos’ dominant defensive showing and upset victory over the Dallas Cowboys, Sterns picked off Dallas quarterback and potential MVP candidate Dak Prescott. With Denver leading 27-0 midway through the fourth quarter, the game was all but over, but Sterns’ interception guaranteed a victory for the Broncos and helped throw their name in the hat for contention in a surprisingly tight race for the AFC West.

Alex Okafor

Alex Okafor prevented the Packers from getting on the board in America’s Game of the Week between the Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs. Chiefs defensive tackle and former Texas defensive standout created some momentum for Kansas City after he blocked a Green Bay field goal attempt. Okafor didn’t come from the edge or break through the line, but instead utilized his length to reach high and block the field goal attempt from the line of scrimmage, and Kansas City topped Green Bay 13-7.