Luxury bus service comes to Austin, other Texas cities

Leila Saidane, News reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared in the October 26 flipbook.

Students will now be able to enjoy 140º reclining seats with footrests, free on-board Wi-Fi and power outlets on commutes between several Texas cities.

RedCoach, a luxury bus service, began nonstop rides between Austin, Houston, Dallas, College Station and Waco on Monday. Florencia Cirigliano, vice president of marketing and public relations at RedCoach, said the service aims to offer affordable luxury transportation and offers a 10% student discount. One-way ticket prices will range from $25 to $60, according to Cirigliano, but tickets are $15 through Nov. 16. The Austin station will be at 300 South Congress Ave., about 2 miles from UT campus. 

Cirigliano said the buses offer Wi-Fi, power outlets and seats made for sleep, which allows students to work and rest.

“When you get home, rather than catching up on essays, you can hang out with your family and friends,” Cirigliano said. “That’s something very valuable and convenient.”

Art history freshman Greer Testa said she is interested in RedCoach because ticket prices are cheaper than the $100 she spends on gas driving to Dallas. 

“It’s tiring to haul yourself across Texas,” Testa said. “You’ve got to cut out maybe four hours of your day just to get back to Dallas …  but if all I was doing was just sitting on a bus working, I would be able to get more done. If I was only paying like $15 to $30 for a one-way trip, I would definitely take advantage of that.” 

Testa said she would also use RedCoach to visit friends in College Station, which she would probably not do otherwise. She said using RedCoach is better than fighting through driving fatigue. 

“If I’m just tired and don’t want to be driving anymore, I can’t just stop,” Testa said.

Undeclared freshman Sanam Sharafkhaneh said she often takes the Megabus to Houston and is excited to try RedCoach. 

“I would choose RedCoach because of the affordability,” Sharafkhaneh said. “It just has a lot more perks compared to the Megabus, like Wi-Fi and the cheap tickets. I think that’s a win-win, something that could potentially make a difference in how much I have to pay to go home.” 

Sharafkhaneh said visiting home can be difficult for students, which affordable travel could address. 

“Going home is not something that’s easy to do,” Sharafkhaneh said. “It’s become a luxury, because it’s expensive. If (travel) is cheaper, and if it’s safe, and it doesn’t take long, I’m there.”