Longhorns in the NFL Week 10

Payne Williams, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the November 19 Double Coverage flipbook.

D’onta Foreman

D’Onta Foreman contributed on the ground and through the air during the Tennessee Titans’ victory over the New Orleans Saints. The former Texas running back, drafted in 2017 by the Houston Texans, landed on the Titans roster in 2020 and filled in exceptionally well for an injured Derrick Henry on Sunday. Foreman led Tennessee in rushing yards and was second on the team in receiving yards. Foreman’s highlight of the day came on a screen pass from quarterback Ryan Tannehill which resulted in a 39-yard gain and nearly six points for the Titans back. While Foreman hasn’t solidified himself as a reliable starting running back in the league, the fifth-year back sure looked like one on Sunday and is sure to receive more carries and targets in the coming weeks.

Jordan Hicks

Jordan Hicks once again proved dominant on the Arizona Cardinals defense on Sunday despite a loss to the Carolina Panthers. Hicks led the team in tackles with 10, including another team-high eight solo tackles. The former Texas linebacker also recorded a deflected pass. In an acrobatic effort, the vet nearly snagged an interception followed by a long return, however, the ball was ruled incomplete after review. The pick would have been a huge momentum shift for the Cardinals, but without quarterback Kyler Murray, Carolina proved too much for the Cardinals in Week 9. While Arizona fell 34-10, Hicks has played a crucial role in the Cardinals’ defense this season and serves as a reason they sit atop the NFC West. The Cardinals will look to bounce back next week and hope to see Murray return to lead the offense.

Brandon Jones

Week 10’s Thursday night matchup between the Miami Dolphins and Baltimore Ravens featured another monstrous performance from Dolphins’ safety Brandon Jones. The second-year safety was critical in Miami’s upset victory over Baltimore. Jones finished the game second in tackles for Miami, but the real story came from his blitzes off the edge and up the middle. Jones’ pass-rushing ability opened up a plethora of opportunities for the former Longhorn to get in the face of former MVP Lamar Jackson. Jones leads all safeties in pass rush snaps this season with 74, and is second in pressures only to fellow Miami teammate and safety Jevon Holland. The safety duo is proving to be one of the best pass-rushing tandems in the league with Jones lighting it up in Miami.

Adrian Phillips

New England Patriots safety Adrian Phillips has been making plays all season, and the former Longhorn safety didn’t let up this week. In a matchup against the Cleveland Browns, Phillips and the Patriots broke up a sure-to-be touchdown in the first quarter. Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield hit a wide open David Njoku in the endzone which looked like a promising six points, but Phillips seemingly came out of nowhere to break up the pass. Phillips displayed his veteran IQ to swipe Njoku’s arm and break up the pass before the tight end could secure possession of the touchdown. In addition to the pass break up, Phillips ended the day with two solo and four total tackles.The eighth-year safety could see a Pro Bowl on the horizon if he keeps making key plays and continues his success in the Patriots secondary.