Texas Track and Field takes on Red Raider Open

Hannah Williford, Sports Reporter

Texas Track and Field athletes competed at the Red Raider Open for the first of two weekends in Lubbock, making their mark in shot put and sprint events.

On Friday, Texas showed its strength in shot put, with first-place finishes for both the men and women. With his signature bellow as he released his shot, graduate student Tripp Piperi placed first in men’s and finished off his birthday week, and stint as Big 12 Athlete of the Week, with a bang. Piperi was followed closely by senior Jalil Brewer in second, and his brother, junior Patrick Piperi, in fourth.

Junior Marilyn Nwora took home first in women’s shot put with a 16.07m throw, a personal record for the Houstonian.

The Texas women came ahead in both the 200 meter and 800 meter sprints, taking the top two slots. Junior Brooke Jaworski finished first in the 800 meter with a personal record of 2:06:13, and senior Valery Tobias was just behind for second place with 2:06:14. In the 200 meter, senior Kynnedy Flannel, last year’s 2021 Big 12 Outdoor High Point Performer, broke away with first at 22.97. Sophomore Kevona Davis finished behind her in second.

The Texas men also found success in the 800 meter, sweeping first through fourth place with a time difference of less than half a second between the top-three finishers. Junior Crayton Carozza crossed the finish line first at 1:48:40.

While no Longhorn men placed in the top 10 in the 200 meter, junior Brian Herron took fourth for Texas in the 400 meter dash. Herron competed for just the second time as a Longhorn this weekend after transferring from USC.

In relay, both the men’s and women’s teams finished third. Herron, along with graduate student Charles Brockman III, sophomore Matt Nortje and senior Willington Wright made up the men’s team and held second in the race until an impressive anchor lap by University of Kentucky’s Kennedy Lightner, who stormed past Texas and Texas Tech for first. The women’s relay, made up of senior Kennedy Simon, graduate student Milan Young, senior Stacey Ann Williams and sophomore Rhasidat Adeleke, missed second by just over two seconds.

Texas track and field will return to Lubbock next weekend for the Texas Tech Open & Multis, defending their strong performances from Friday.