UT cancels campus events, in-person and online classes Thursday

Hope Unger, Senior News Reporter

UT canceled all online and in-person classes scheduled for Thursday in anticipation of inclement weather in Central Texas this week, according to a message from President Jay Hartzell. COVID-19 testing and vaccine operations scheduled for Thursday will also be canceled.

“Unfortunately, due to the high probability of severe winter weather arriving overnight, our campus will close at midnight tonight,” Hartzell said in the message. “We will reopen when conditions are determined to be safe.”

Hartzell said the University will announce the plans for Friday’s campus operations Thursday afternoon. The campus will remain closed until further notice.

“Although technology has enabled us to do more remotely and online, tomorrow’s weather conditions, along with potential power outages and other service constraints, make it difficult to ensure that all students and faculty members will have the resources they need to teach and learn during the storm,” Hartzell said. 

According to a tweet from KXAN Weather, the National Weather Service announced they have high confidence that icing will occur in the Austin metropolitan area during the storm. Austin Emergency Management said in a tweet that a winter storm watch is in effect from 3 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, and they expect up to a quarter-inch of ice. 

Those identified as essential workers, such as people in life/safety positions, security positions and data or property positions, will still be required to be on campus, said Hartzell. 

University Housing and Dining sent an email Wednesday afternoon to residents about the status of UHD facilities if campus were to close. 

”We have a team of dining staff who will stay on campus tonight so they can open our dining halls in the morning,” the email said. “Our plan is to open (J2:Jester Dining) and Kins Dining tomorrow from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and 5-8 p.m.”

The email also said UHD will apply a de-icing solution to sidewalks and walkways Wednesday and Thursday as needed.