No. 16 Texas snaps 3-game losing streak, defeats Texas Tech 61-56

Ethan Ferguson, Senior Sports Reporter

The No. 16 Texas women’s basketball team broke its three game losing streak and defeated Texas Tech on the road 61-56 Wednesday at United Supermarkets Arena.

The Longhorns’ intense pressure on defense proved to be the ultimate factor yet again, forcing 18 turnovers and acquiring nine steals. Despite having 14 turnovers themselves, Texas was able to capitalize on points off of turnovers, totaling 23 points. 

The Longhorns also had a great showing in the paint both offensively and defensively. With a total of 32 points in the paint, Texas grabbed 14 offensive rebounds and gained 20 points from second chance attempts. The Longhorns defended the paint as well, tallying five blocks. 

The Longhorns fought through a rough shooting night, making just 37% from the field and 3-of-13 from beyond the arc. However, they were able to capitalize from the charity stripe in the clutch, missing just one free throw the entire game for a 92% clip.

A big priority for the Longhorns coming into this game was limiting the chances for Texas Tech senior guard Vivian Gray, who averages 19.8 points per game this season and recorded 36 points in the Red Raiders’ last matchup against No. 25 Kansas State.

Despite the defensive emphasis on her, Gray led the game in scoring with 20 points on 10-of-22 shooting. For Texas, senior guard Joanne Allen-Taylor led the team in scoring accumulating 14 points with two clutch three pointers near the end of the fourth quarter. 

Allen-Taylor came away with three steals on the defensive end and made all four of her free throw attempts. Senior forward Audrey Warren also had a huge impact off the bench, racking up 12 points and three steals of her own.

Warren was also a menace on defense, pulling down six rebounds — four of which were offensive — and forcing two big offensive fouls on Tech in the last minute before halftime. 

Sophomore guard Shay Holle earned her first career start tonight against Tech. With the 14 minutes she had, she was able to score four points on 2-5 shooting. 

Despite starting on the bench, freshman Latasha Lattimore obtained a profitable amount of time on the floor. With her 6-foot-4-inch build, Lattimore made her presence felt, scoring eight points, nine rebounds, and three blocks.

Currently sixth in the Big 12 standings, the Longhorns will look to carry the momentum from Wednesday’s win with them into their next matchup against No. 12 Oklahoma. Texas will take on its rival at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin this Saturday with tip-off set for 7 p.m.