Festival freebies: Here’s a list of free SXSW events

Angela Lim, Senior Life & Arts Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared in the March 11, 2022 SXSW flipbook.

For many college students, splurging hundreds of dollars on a SXSW badge is the last thing on their minds. Fortunately, the festival offers a range of experiences open to the public. The Daily Texan compiled a list of free SXSW events, from lifestyle to films and music, for those staying in Austin to enjoy during spring break.

Just Food: Community, Culture and Economy

March 11, 2:30 p.m. – 5 p.m., 900 Chicon St.

This Food Tank conference at Huston-Tillotson University gathers over 20 speakers to discuss community efforts on food accessibility. The presenters will explain food’s intersectional ties with societal and economic justice. The University will also host Food-Film Watch Parties on March 14 and 15.

Disney+ Outdoor Screenings

March 12, 10:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m., 701 W Riverside Dr.

Hang out at the Long Center Terrace to watch films presented by Disney+. Notably, attendees can view Emma Stone’s “Cruella” at 3:30 p.m. and Marvel’s “Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings” at 7:30 p.m. Set up a picnic blanket, bring snacks and enjoy the movies with good company.

Flatstock 77

March 17-19, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m., 500 E Cesar Chavez St.

Presented by the American Poster Institute, the public can view exhibitions showcasing top concert poster artists’ works at the Austin Convention Center. Rising artists will also perform at the Flatstock 77 Stage, energizing the venue with their live music.

SXSW Outdoor Stage

March 17-19, 4 – 9:40 p.m., 800 W Riverside Dr.

Overlooking the Austin skyline and sunset, SXSW presents a three-day outdoor concert on their largest stage, which anyone can attend. Concertgoers can watch more than a dozen acts perform, including Mt. Joy, Sammy Hagar and the Circle, and Golden Dawn Arkestra. Take in the full festival experience with a vigorous crowd.