Former UT law facilities director pleads guilty to theft

Hope Unger, News Reporter

A former Texas Law facilities director was charged with first-degree theft of property and second-degree theft of service. Jason Shoumaker pled guilty to the lesser charge of a second-degree felony for theft of property and was placed on deferred adjudication March 31. 

Shoumaker, who worked at the University from 2007-2017, was sentenced to probation for 10 years and must complete 200 hours of community service after pleading guilty to the second-degree felony, according to Ismael Martinez, the senior public information officer for the Travis County District Attorney. Martinez said Shoumaker is required to repay $150,000 to UT.

Shoumaker made payments toward personal expenses and friends through the law school accounts without approval from 2012-2017, according to previous Daily Texan reporting. Shoumaker resigned in 2017.

Martinez said Shoumaker is required to disclose records of community supervision to any employer and to anyone he does business with that he receives more than a thousand dollars from. 

Shoumaker was arrested in May 2018, and felony charges were filed against him in December 2018. A report released in 2019 found that Shoumaker caused UT to lose nearly $1.6 million. 

UT spokesperson Eliska Padilla said the University is continuing to pursue all avenues to recover funds following Shoumaker’s guilty plea. 

“Following a comprehensive audit, the School of Law and University implemented detailed recommendations to strengthen fraud prevention and detection efforts and ensure that nothing of this kind happens again,” Padilla said.  

Shoumaker’s attorney Perry Minton did not respond to a request for a comment.