Senior sports reporter realizes he isn’t a professional athlete, becomes a writer instead

Ethan Ferguson, Sports Reporter

As I sit down to write my goodbye to a place that I’ve called home here on the Forty Acres for over two years, I can’t help but feel the nostalgia roll over me like a wave.

I’ve come to realize that the skills and abilities I developed by being a member of The Daily Texan have prepared me immensely for the success that I aspire to have as my life progresses. That being said, the path I took leading me to this moment was anything but short.

Reflecting on my life within sports feels like a relationship that started at birth. Growing up, I had aspirations of playing in the NFL. Much to my dismay, the 5-foot frame that I was given for the better half of my life limited my options. Additionally, my grandma didn’t approve of the dangers associated with football, so that was the end of that.

I learned very quickly that being short and skinny had the potential of posing difficulties playing certain sports. One factor of mine that stood out however was my speed. Because of this, I switched my focus to soccer. Playing competitively were some of the best years of my life.

Then came my interest in basketball. Growing up in Chicago, basketball had a huge impact on my life. Playing it didn’t come easily at first, but through practice and dedication, I eventually was able to compete.

The point of this backstory is to emphasize why sports matter. Sports bring joy to those who seek it out, who immerse their lives into them. Sports bring people together.

After deciding to attend the University of Texas, and knowing of its reputable sports programs, I joined the newspaper with the intent of telling stories about people being brought together.

Working here has made me who I am today. The reputation and accolades which The Daily Texan has received over its one hundred plus years of publishing are entirely deserving. I am wholeheartedly grateful for the opportunities that have been given to me.

To my sports editors, Hannah, Nathan and Carter, your leadership inspires me and I am so excited to see what the future holds for all of you. Thank you for your support and for motivating me to produce the highest quality content I could.

Matthew, Christina and Jordan, your talent as writers and reporters is uncanny. Continue to ask the hard questions and never lose your passion for sports, even if the sport in question is pingpong on a makeshift table.

Amsal and Emily, it was a pleasure working alongside you covering the same sports. There is no doubt in my mind that both swimming and diving and women’s basketball at Texas will continue to have a myriad of success.

To my parents, thank you for being excited about my interests and for providing me the resources to chase my passions.

To those of you who have read my work, thank you. Your support means the world to me.

This isn’t the end of my story, but technically, the words have run out. Hook ‘em.