Longhorns in the pros: Checking in on Texas’ 2021 NBA draft picks

Matthew Caldwell, Sports Reporter

The 2022 NBA draft took place Thursday with zero Longhorns being drafted. A little over a year ago, however, three Longhorns were taken in the 2021 NBA draft, tying the record for most Texas players chosen in a single draft.

With the 2021-22 NBA season officially over, here’s a look at how those three players fared in their rookie seasons:

Kai Jones

With the 19th overall pick, the Charlotte Hornets selected forward Kai Jones, who played two seasons for the Longhorns and averaged 8.8 points per game in his second season. Jones’ athleticism and ability to shoot the three ball at a height of 6-foot-10-inches bolstered himself into being a first round draft pick.

Jones only appeared in 21 games for the Hornets, though, averaging just three minutes per game. Stuck behind proven forwards P.J. Washington and Miles Bridges, the Hornets sent Jones to the Greensboro Swarm, Charlotte’s G League affiliate.

While playing for the Swarm, Jones averaged 18.3 points, 11 rebounds and two blocks per game.

“I’m glad that I did go down there,” Jones said in an April press conference. “I learned so much about myself, and I grew so much.”

With Bridges becoming a restricted free agent this offseason, Jones could figure to have a bigger role for the Hornets heading into next season.

Greg Brown III

After a one-and-done season at Texas, Greg Brown III declared for the NBA draft. Teams saw Brown as a raw prospect but with serious potential. The Texas product’s athleticism was enough to get him drafted 43rd overall to the Portland Trail Blazers despite a somewhat disappointing season on the Forty Acres

Early in the season, Brown didn’t see much playing time, and with the Trail Blazers being one of two NBA teams without a G League affiliate, there was nowhere to send the prospect.

However, Portland suffered a couple of key injuries, including guard Damian Lillard’s abdominal injury in December which sidelined the star for the rest of the season. With what seemed like a dead season, the Trail Blazers traded away CJ McCollum, Robert Covington and Norman Powell, all players that garnered significant minutes.

Seeing an uptick in minutes after the trades, Brown went on to play in 48 games at 13.3 minutes per game. Brown showed promising signs, averaging 4.7 points per game. The highlight of Brown’s season came when he made a spectacular between-the-legs dunk on Nov. 23 against the Denver Nuggets.

Jericho Sims

The third and final Longhorn drafted was Jericho Sims, who completed four full seasons and played in 119 games during his college tenure. Sims averaged just shy of 10 points per game in his final two seasons at Texas before declaring for the draft.

Sims’ age moved him down draft boards, but the New York Knicks took a chance on him with the 58th overall pick.

After a brief stint in the G League where he averaged 14 points and 11.3 rebounds per game, Sims was brought back up to fill a void left by injured center Nerlens Noel. Appearing in 41 games for the Knicks as the backup center, Sims showcased his ability to rebound and play solid defense, even against proven NBA centers.

Neither the Hornets, Trail Blazers or Knicks made the playoffs, cutting short the Longhorn rookies’ initial NBA campaigns. Next season, Jones, Brown and Sims will look to improve upon their rookie years and play bigger roles for the teams that took a chance on them.