Austin City Council unanimously passes resolution in support of livable wages for city employees

Morgan Severson, News Reporter

City employees could have their pay increased to $22 an hour in the fall following a unanimous decision by the Austin City Council to raise the minimum wage for city employees on June 16. 

The resolution, sponsored by council member Vanessa Fuentes, directs city manager Spencer Cronk to develop a plan to raise the minimum wage for city employees for the 2023 fiscal year, which starts in October. If Cronk cannot find a feasible plan to raise the minimum wage to $22 an hour, he must propose a wage increase “by the most significant amount possible.” The wage increase would include all city employees, including those contracted by the city. 

“So many folks came out and shared what they are experiencing right now and just how hard it is to get by in Austin,” Fuentes said at the June 16 city council meeting. “I am glad that today we were able to demonstrate to the city of Austin employees that we are committed to this upcoming budget cycle to raise the wage and ensure that we’re doing all that we can to address the cost of living here.”

Many city employees, including EMS workers, lifeguards, library employees and 911 dispatchers, were present at the meeting to speak in support of the resolution. 

Among the speakers was Barton Springs lifeguard Scott Cobb, who said in the meeting that a minimum wage increase to $22 an hour could help the city fill lifeguard job vacancies.     

“This raise will do a lot to help people continue to work for the city and to meet their expenses,” Cobb said. “In the past, I’ve known people who were lifeguards who were living in their cars — experiencing homelessness. That’s ridiculous for anyone working for the city, who can’t afford to put a roof over their heads.” 

Henry Epperson, a sociology and history senior, also spoke at the city council meeting in support of the resolution. Epperson said a minimum wage increase could allow him to afford gas and food, and to “live decently.” 

“I’m a full-time college student working two jobs to fund my education and to make ends meet,” Epperson said at the meeting. “My two roommates and myself recently discovered our rent was being raised beyond our budgets.”  

Epperson said he works as a server and does not work for the city of Austin, meaning the wage increase to $22 won’t directly affect him. However, he said he believes the resolution’s passage could promote wage increases for other industries in Austin.  

“Even though it’s only for municipal workers, I feel like it’s a good step (toward) making a more general law for workers across Austin,” Epperson said. “A higher minimum wage would benefit workers in the city because of inflation and because of the housing crisis. … If workers have more money in their pockets, they’re able to live a more comfortable existence.”