988: New national mental health hotline launches

Hope Unger, News Reporter

TW: Discussion surrounding mental health. To report concerning behavior or ask for advice, students can call the Behavior Concerns and COVID-19 Advice Line at 512-232-5050. Students can also contact the Counseling and Mental Health Center for support. For after-hours emergencies, students can call the CMHC Crisis Line at (512) 471-2255. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 or 988.

As of July 16, individuals in crisis can call 988, a new three-digit dialing code, to connect to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Available across the United States, people can call and text 988 to connect with trained counselors that are part of the existing Lifeline network for assistance. 

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, reachable at 1-800-273-8255, has been in operation since 2005 and will remain available along with the dialing code, according to the 988 informational website

Marla Craig, the senior associate director for clinical services at UT’s Counseling and Mental Health Center, said having an additional option for students to find help is “fantastic.” 

“Unless you have (the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number) taped somewhere that’s easy to access, you’re not going to remember that phone number,” Craig said. “988 is something that we can get into our minds. It’s easy to remember.”

UT also offers a confidential mental health crisis line that is available 24/7/365, Craig said. A licensed mental health professional can be reached at 512-471-2255. 

Craig said CMHC wants to have as many options as possible for students experiencing a level of distress, crisis or suicidal thoughts. 

“We never want to be the island,” Craig said. “We want to make sure that people have many options.”