Class action lawsuit claiming sexual abuse, harassment by former UT track coach dropped

Claire Stevens, News Reporter

A lawsuit claiming a former UT track coach sexually abused multiple athletes was dropped on July 14, according to court documents.

In March 2020, three former UT track athletes brought a class action lawsuit against John Rembao, a former high jump coach from 1997-2001. The plaintiffs, Erin Aldrich, Jessica Johnson and Londa Bevins, said Rembao sexually abused and harassed them between 1997 and 2000.

In the court filing, the parties agreed to dismiss the case. The parties resolved the matter, according to the filing, though it provided no information as to the terms of the dismissal.

Lynn Ellenberger, a lawyer for the athletes, said in an email that a settlement had been reached but that the plaintiffs could not reveal its terms.

Lawyers for Rembao did not return requests for comment on the circumstances surrounding the dismissal.

In addition to Rembao, the lawsuit named the NCAA and the NCAA Board of Governors as defendants, alleging that the organizations failed to protect athletes. The claims against the NCAA and its board of governors were handled in an Indiana district court, the location of the NCAA headquarters, and were dismissed in 2021 due to the statute of limitations being reached.