UT staff member George Mercado makes name as Tex-Mex cowboy with Tejano country music

Jesus Vidales, Life and Arts Reporters

Editor’s note: This article first appeared in the July 26, 2022 flip book. 

As the crowd inside the dimly lit Cactus Cafe finds their seats and chatters in anticipation and excitement, stage lights hit George Mercado and his band, Vesta Realm. An accordion lets out a slow, melancholic wail as the rest of the band follows. Mercado begins to sing his original song, “Honey Pardon Me,” a song that embodies his title as a “Tex-Mex Cowboy.” 

As the night progressed, people passing by started trickling in. Curious students, intrigued by the rhythmic music, went in to find their seats. Among those students was Ahmed Mousa, who put his plans on hold after hearing the music.

“I had been studying up on the upper floor, … but I heard music,” Mousa said. “I just ended up walking in. … It was pretty fun and entertaining.” 

Mercado, who has worked at UT in parking and transportation services for a total of 19 years, accompanied by Vesta Realm, played their second on-campus show July 22 at the beloved Cactus Cafe, a hotspot for Austin-based musicians. Mercado mixes Tejano and country music elements to form his unique sound, where he sings original songs in Spanish and English that explore his experiences with love and personal growth. Mercado said that while he was first introduced to Tejano music by his family, he did not always feel a personal connection with the genre. 

“I would always hear my dad playing (Tejano music) when he was outside, and I remember being really young (and saying) ‘Dad, can you turn that music down? The neighbors can hear,’”  Mercado said. “As I got older, I understood what it meant. Now that I’m doing music, I’m proud of who I am and what I grew up in.”

Years later, when a fellow musician and friend of Mercado referred to him as a “Tex-Mex cowboy” to describe his musical combination of country and Tejano influences, Mercado said the title stuck and helped him solidify his niche in the local music scene.

“(Audiences) probably won’t remember my exact name, but they will remember something like that,” Mercado said. “Sometimes, you have to prove yourself on certain things, (and) I really haven’t had to do that. I know a lot of people in the industry that I’m working with in Tejano music and a little bit of country, and they respect me. They see me as someone that works hard at what he does (and) is passionate about it.”

Through pursuing this music that he grew up listening to, Mercado said he found a community full of people who he could depend on and share his love of Tejano music with. During their show at the Cactus Cafe, the band played alongside Jose “Boobie” Estrada, who stepped in to fill the guitar position that night. Estrada said this community of Tejano artists call on each other to lend a hand when needed.

“It’s a close-knit community,” Estrada said. “You’ve got guys you respect in the business. When George calls, it’s like, ‘Tell me what you need. Tell me what you want me to play, and I’m there.’”

After Vesta Realm’s Cactus Cafe performance, Mercado said he plans to return to the venue during the fall semester when more students frequent UT campus. He said while he always enjoys performing live with his band, introducing young audiences to Tejano music is a very special aspect of his job.

“What we’re doing doesn’t get represented well down here on Sixth Street or other venues because it’s dominated by rock or blues,” Mercado said. “When it comes to music, (I enjoy) bringing diversity and meeting people that haven’t heard (Tejano music).”