‘Vengeance’ tackles modern relationships, technology in this dark comedy

Ryan Ranc, Life and Arts Reporter

“Vengeance,” a dark comedy written and directed by BJ Novak, follows New York journalist Ben Manalowitz (Novak) after receiving the information that a girl he previously hooked up with was murdered. Ben, thinking this would make for a great podcast, travels down to Texas, where he meets the victim’s family and helps her brother Ty Shaw (Boyd Holbrook) crack the case. 

It’s rare to see someone wear so many hats in a production, but Novak’s multifacetedness in his first feature film and directorial debut makes the dramatic comedy that much more impressive. Novak’s passion shines through in every plot point, line of dialogue and painfully funny “The Office”-esque punchline. In The Daily Texan’s interview with Novak, he discussed how the movie was his passion project, and he wrote Ben in a way that reflected his life as a city boy. This movie will leave audiences clamoring for more projects helmed by Novak.

The setting of Texas makes for an excellent backdrop to forward Ben’s character arc while simultaneously providing plenty of humor. “Vengeance” comments on Texan stereotypes such as cowboy hats, gun extremists and the universal love of Whataburger. One joke pointed at UT and Texas Tech fans serves not only as a comedic point, but also provides a cultural dichotomy to explore the theme that audiences all come from different walks of life. Jokes at the expense of Texans range from political to basic, and never once get old. Although people who have not experienced Texan culture may not understand every joke, there are still a lot of moments that will stand out as enjoyable and memorable.

Throughout the plot, Novak weaves commentary about modern relationships by incorporating discussions of hookup culture and social media. At the opening of the movie, Ben’s tendency to casually hook up with multiple people is often played as a joke. However, after he learns that a girl he hooked up with was murdered, he begins to yearn for a deeper connection with her. While the movie never comes off as anti-sex, it does showcase how hookup culture can prevent one from developing deeper romantic connections. Taking a deeper glance at online dating, the film also explores the depressing reality that sometimes people learn more about each other through social media than verbal interactions. 

“Vengeance” brings up its rating through practically feeling like two movies. The first half presents a deeply satirical and darkly comedic thrill ride exploring an obvious juxtaposition between Ben’s city boy lifestyle and the rural, deeply moralistic personalities of the Shaw family. However, the second half drastically shifts to an emotional drama that sees all characters drift away from their stereotypical characteristics to connect with one another. By the end of the movie, the ensemble comes to terms with their reality, understanding that life is much more than surface appearances. 

In promoting “Vengeance,” trailers did not do this darkly comedic, deeply emotional, true crime journey justice, resulting in one of the most surprising movies of the year. Fans of Novak’s dry sense of humor will find the movie deeply engaging, taking audiences on a much deeper, emotional journey than expected. 

4 Whataburger meals out of 5