The Texan has a place for you

Megan Tran, Editor-in-Chief

Whether you’re new to campus and trying to figure out where you belong or you’ve been at UT for years, the Texan has a place for you. We’ve been publishing since 1900, and in that time, we’ve reported on anything and everything of interest to the UT community. The Texan is a paper for students, by students, and our coverage has led us to become the most award-winning college publication in the country. Each semester, we continue this impressive legacy with a staff of over 300 students. 

You don’t need journalism or press experience to apply — I sure didn’t have any. With 13 writing, multimedia and miscellaneous departments, we’re bound to have something that suits your talents and interests. 

If you’re interested in advocacy and seeking change on UT’s campus, join me in the opinion department as a columnist or illustrator. Check out our news department if breaking news and fast-paced action are more your speed. Do you like exploring the Austin community and are interested in student life at UT? Apply to our Life&Arts department. If you’ve enjoyed watching UT sports, apply to the sports department and get an up-close look at the athletes and teams that make up Texas Athletics. 

If writing isn’t your thing, check out one of our creative departments. Do you like to illustrate, animate and create comic strips? Our comics team is for you. Maybe you love graphic design and satisfying spreads. If so, consider applying to our design department.  

Do you prefer to consume your news digitally? Look into our multimedia departments. If you like capturing moments from behind a camera, apply to our photo department. Our video department offers you the opportunity to share people’s stories and produce both standalone videos and videos that accompany our written coverage. If you enjoy storytelling and having conversations but don’t like being on camera, apply to our podcast department. 

Check out our social media or newsletter sections if you’d like to help us reach a larger audience and connect with more people. Or maybe you’re meticulous about details and enjoy fact-checking. If so, our copy department, also known as the backbone of the paper, is for you. Finally, if you want to help us ensure more representative and diverse coverage through exciting new initiatives, apply to the Diversity and Inclusion Board.  

No matter your interests or background, there’s a place for you at the Texan. As editor-in-chief, I want you to feel that our newsroom is open to you and your unique perspectives. The community and friends I’ve made at Texan have defined my college experience — and I’d like to share that with you. Consider applying, and help us continue the Texan’s 122-year-long legacy. 

The Daily Texan’s application for this semester can be found here, and if you have any questions, check out our application guide or email me at [email protected].

Tran is a Plan II, English and sociology junior. She is the editor-in-chief.