UT students reflect on what they miss from home

Grace Hare, Life&Arts Reporter

From behind the hills of Alicia Aranda’s local walking trails, the sun sets in deep oranges and reds. Her family dog, Calo, tugs ahead of her as she walks along a winding path. When she’s away from home, she said this is one of the places she misses the most. Aranda is from Dallas, and the wind on the path helps to cool her down from the Texas heat, she said. 

“There’s wildflowers that grow up during springtime and early summer, and it’s very pretty,” the speech language pathology senior said. 

While Aranda said she finds comfort in the familiarity of the nature-filled path she frequents, other students reminisce on certain restaurants and study places from home that they grew to love. As Longhorns settle in for the school year, the city of Austin buzzes with interesting new places for University students to frequent. Despite the surge of excitement and adrenaline that encompasses the college move-in experience, many students find themselves missing the warmth and comfort of home. 

Growing up in the Clear Lake area of Houston, environmental engineering sophomore Sophie Snapp said she misses the familiar views of the flat NASA Space Center and tourists relaxing by the water of the local bay. However, despite the grand sights of Texan beaches and shuttle launches, she said she misses the refreshing taste of strawberry green tea from her local bubble tea cafe, Bubble Island, the most. 

“Everyone from my high school goes after school, and we all hang out there,” Snapp said. “It’s a staple of the teenager community in my hometown, and it’s fun with some really nice people.”

The cafe’s colorful menu and bright flavorful drinks remind Snapp of the hours she spent with members of the robotics club, enjoying the relaxed atmosphere around the corner from her family home. 

The 98-acre Fort Worth Stockyards, a historic venue in the city with many attractions, draws tourists seeking the world’s only twice-daily cattle drive. It’s also the place where Tate Christian, physical culture and sports sophomore, said he feels most connected to his community. 

“It’s just a part of the town that’s old and run down,” Christian said. “There are little holes in the wall,  food places that are super good. It’s a place where you can walk around and spend the night.”

During his breaks from school, he said his friends from high school spend their time frequenting the small, unique restaurants that remain key parts of the city and dancing the night away at local honky-tonk bars. While the start of the new school year brings excitement, Christian said he feels a bittersweet comfort when thinking of the places that make his hometown unique. From childhood meals to exciting cattle drives, Christian said reminiscing on hometown memories eases any discomfort about being away from his family and friends in Fort Worth.

“When I’m there, it feels like home,” Christian said.