Texas volleyball notches third sweep of season against Denver

Katie Borchetta, Sports reporter

No. 1 Texas volleyball kept its unblemished record alive Friday with another sweep, this time against Denver at Gregory Gym. 

Senior outside hitter Logan Eggleston set the tone for the match right away at the start of the first set. In the first set alone, Eggleston, sophomore outside hitter Madisen Skinner and senior middle back Asjia O’Neal all recorded at least three kills each. Eggleston recorded four. There were a few failed attempts to return the ball after a block gave Denver some hope of winning the first set, but the Longhorns recovered and ended the set with an ace by Eggleston 25-20.

The second set began with an early service ace by senior libero Zoe Fleck. Denver stayed closer in the second set, with the deficit hovering within a few points throughout. But because of a double touch and a few service errors by Denver, Texas built a small lead and won the set 25-17.

The third and final set ended with the score 25-22. Denver recorded multiple service errors and missed hits out of bounds that set the Pioneers behind the eight ball. The Longhorns seemed more confident and together for the set, fixing some of their previous mishaps from earlier in the game. A few smart plays from Denver resulted in a closer score, but Texas pulled away to earn its sixth win and third sweep on the season.

Skinner finished the game with nine kills, redshirt senior middle back Kayla Caffey had eight and Eggleston finished with six alongside O’Neal. Texas had a total of 39 kills and had a team hitting percentage of .300.

After coming off four consecutive wins against volleyball teams ranked in the top 15 nationally, Caffey said that Texas’ mindset is the same regardless of who they play.

“We want to treat every opponent with the same amount of respect,” Caffey said. “Everyone is a Division I team, we prepare the same and come out the same.”

Texas’ team, made up of 11 new players including Caffey, represents a major departure from last year’s roster, yet the new group has found success early in the season. Their next test will come against Houston on Thursday at Gregory Gym.

“It’s really cool having all these new people and just bringing the cultures together,” Caffey said. “I feel like it’s a fresh start. (I’m)like a freshman again, just getting to know everyone.”