Men’s golf season preview: Meet the Longhorns

Zach Davis, Sports Reporter

It’s only been three months since the Texas men’s golf team took down Arizona State to win its fourth NCAA championship in program history.

With the Longhorns set to begin play this weekend in Illinois, Texas men’s golf will begin its title defense. Head coach John Fields added three new faces to his team, and here’s a look at the 10-man roster for this season:

Randall Fojtasek

Originally from Dallas, junior Randall Fojtasek looks to impact Texas men’s golf significantly in his third year. A graduate of Highland Park High School, Fojtasek took home third in both the 2019 Southern Championship and the 2019 Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship. 

Alejandro Gonzalez

Sophomore Alejandro Gonzalez has a bigger role to play in his second year with the team. After playing eight events and averaging 2.71 strokes over par, the Queretaro, Mexico, product has high expectations for the upcoming season. 

Will Jacobe

Senior Will Jacobe is a jack of all trades, double majoring in business honors and Plan II. In the two events he participated in last season, Jacobe found himself in the top 80 for both and finished tied for 39th at The Prestige golf tournament. 

Christiaan Maas

From Pretoria, South Africa, freshman Christiaan Maas hopes to have an immediate impact in his first year on the team. Maas brings a long list of accolades, with nine wins and 24 top-10 finishes in his amateur career. He currently sits at No. 39 in the amateur rankings but has a career high of No. 19. Ranked as the best junior golfer from South Africa, Maas could be a key part of Texas’ title defense. 

Mason Nome

Before senior Mason Nome arrived on the Forty Acres, he was ranked No. 14 in the Golfweek junior rankings. Last season, Nome finished sixth in both the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational and Big 12 Championship, and finished in the top 10 in two other tournaments. 

Jacob Sosa

A graduate of Westlake High School in Austin, freshman Jacob Sosa stayed home to compete for the Longhorns. Ranked No. 44 by the American Junior Golf Association, Sosa finished in third place at the PING Heather Farr Classic. Dubbed the No. 1 recruit in Texas and No. 10 nationally by AJGA, expectations are high for Sosa to succeed at Texas. 

Will Thomson

From Naples, Florida, Thomson looks to shine in his senior year. Before he got to Austin, he was ranked No. 10 in his class by Golfweek and won the 2018 New York State Amateur Championship. Averaging 4.1 strokes over par last season, his best finish was 19th at Herb Wimberly.

Travis Vick

A vital member of last season’s championship squad, Vick will look to help his team reach victory this year. Leading the team in scoring, he averaged 0.46 strokes under par last season. Finishing second at the NCAA regional in addition to three other top-10 finishes, Vick will have eyes on him this year. 

Keaton Vo

One of the three freshmen that Fields recruited to campus this year, Vo is ranked as the No. 3 recruit in Texas by AJGA. A hometown kid from Austin, Vo has seven top-10 finishes on the AJGA tour and is a three-time Rolex Junior All-American.

Jeffrey Zatorski

Zatorski, a sophomore from Houston, played in three events last season, his best finish being 43rd at The Prestige. Zatorski will look to play a more prominent role in helping the team’s success this upcoming season.