Rock On: Austin City Limits Readys for Season 48 Debut

Logan Dubel, General Life & Arts Reporter

Recognized as one of Austin’s crown jewels and the longest-running music series in history, Austin City Limits will premiere its 48th season on PBS on Oct. 1, promising to delight fans in the live music capital of the world and beyond. 

“Here we are, in our 48th year, and I still have the same job doing the same thing that I love to do, and it is still as much fun as it ever was,” executive producer Terry Lickona said. “The music is what makes it fun, and it’s constantly changing. There is something about Austin that has helped to build Austin City Limits to be what it is today.”

ACL prides itself as a must-see venue for both mega stars and up-and-coming artists of all genres and ages, according to its website. This season, the show will host folk rock icon Brandi Carlile for its debut and will later feature country star Maren Morris. Lickona said ACL will also shine a light on diverse new artists on the cusp of fame, demonstrating its artist-first commitment. 

ACL holds deep roots at UT, where it made its 1974 soundstage debut in studio 6A, the venue the program called home for 36 seasons. In 2010, production moved to ACL Live at the Moody Theater. 

The show offered a platform to Butler School of Music professor John Mills, an acclaimed jazz musician, who previously had multiple appearances on the show. Mills  performed before ACL’s global audience, sharing the stage with artists such as Willie Nelson and Ray Benson. Mills said the show stands a representation of Austin’s ever-evolving music scene.

“The music landscape has changed, and they’re very adept and dedicated to moving with the times and keeping the spirit of the program,” Mills said. “They’ve kept both the spirit and integrity of the original while moving forward. It’s an incredible accomplishment.”  

For nearly half a century, Lickona said his dedication and love toward music drives his work on ACL. Aired on the nonprofit network PBS, Lickona said that rather than for money, featured musicians primarily appear on ACL to showcase their artistry. 

Lickona said that in 1974, Willie Nelson earned just $300 for the pilot episode, and 48 years later, Brandi Carlile received $500. He said ACL’s mission revolves around  preserving Austin’s timeless and free-flowing musical culture instead of succumbing to cut-throat, for-profit aspects of the music industry.  

“The fact that there is not a commercial aspect to it is really the beauty and the main reason why I think the show has not only survived but thrived,” Lickona said. “PBS has never, in all of these years, told us who to book, so that helps to create an atmosphere where there’s no pressure.” 

The long-running program captivates the minds of young Austinites as well, including Austin-born journalism freshman Keana Saberi, who said she feels strong ties between the program and the city. 

“It was a very distinct part of growing up,” Saberi said. “I would always see it on TV. It was a very integral part of Austin culture to witness a myriad of different artists performing, and it is truly such a historic show.” 

For its accomplishments, ACL made history as the only television show to receive the National Medal of Arts in 2003. Today, as Austin continues its rapid growth and cements its reputation for unmatched live music, Mills said ACL impact on the city’s identity undoubtedly upholds its legacy. 

“It’s been a great service, and it’s why people like me who got here a long time ago stayed here, because (the show) played a part in fostering an environment that was always there,” Mills said. “It kept on bringing new blood and great musicians from different parts of the country to see Austin as a music center.”