Students say inaccurate Bevo Pay information has created purchasing complications

Ireland Blouin, News Reporter

Some UT students say the website for Bevo Pay, a program that allows students to pay for items using their student ID at participating locations on and around campus, does not accurately say where it can be used, leading to purchasing complications.

According to the University Housing and Dining website, Bevo Pay is a “cashless form of payment that allows students to purchase food, goods and services at 75+ on and off campus merchants with their UT ID card.” Participating students receive $100 in Bevo Pay at the beginning of each semester with the option to add more funds if they choose. Through the website, students can request for UT to add a merchant to the program or alert the Bevo Pay Office that the list features incorrect information about vendors. 

However, students such as Lindsey Gefrides, an electrical and computer engineering freshman, said website inaccuracies are occurring too often. 

“I went to the O’s Campus Cafe in the EER, and they would not take my Bevo Pay there,” Gefrides said. “It was pretty frustrating because I had to go find somewhere else to eat.”

The Bevo Pay Office takes on the task of finding merchants, creating contracts and setting up the right equipment so students can conveniently use the payment form, said Cynthia Lew, director of marketing and communications for UHD.

“They just have to sign a contract with us,” Lew said. “Then we have our IT team (go) out and make sure they have all the right connections so that they can take the Bevo Pay as a payment.”

Biology freshman Sara Aber said she has had issues paying with an off-campus vendor that she believed accepted Bevo Pay.

“I went to the Dollar Slice Club on (Guadalupe Street),” Aber said. “I brought just my ID card with me, and I went up to go pay and they told me ‘Oh, we haven’t set that up yet,’ and that was confusing and a little annoying because I didn’t have anything else to pay for it.”

Lew said in an email that the Bevo Pay team is working to update the merchant list for inaccuracies and removed the Dollar Slice Club from the program list temporarily due to network issues.