Liveshot: Goth Babe, Sarah and the Sundays bring vibrant energy to ACL Fest Nights show at Historic Scoot Inn

Mirya Dila, General Life&Arts Reporter

Soft hues of pink, purple and blue washed over the Historic Scoot Inn crowd, which buzzed with excitement as white flashing lights flooded the venue.

Sarah and the Sundays took to the stage, kicking off the ACL Fest Nights show with their high-energy song, “Take Your Time.” The band experimented with synth elements and extended guitar riffs that seamlessly transitioned into fan-favorite track, “I’m So Bored.”  Although part of the audience didn’t seem to recognize some songs, the Austin-based band kept the atmosphere lively, notably playing “Coward,” “Miss Mary,” “Vices” and a cover of Electric Light Orchestra’s “Mr. Blue Sky.”

“This is going to be a fun night,” lead singer Liam Yorgensen said, taking time to thank fans who attended the band’s first ACL set the day before and welcome new audience members.

The band closed their set with the sweet catharsis of “Pulling Teeth,” with Yorgensen’s voice reverberating across the venue. The song’s extended outro, paired with the band’s electric dynamic, caused the audience to erupt into cheers and applause.

The Scoot Inn’s stage lights began to shift to hues of green and blue as the intro to Goth Babe’s “Moments/Tides” played. Lead singer Griff Washburn’s entrance onstage garnered excitement from fans who cheered as he sauntered around the stage’s perimeter.

Goth Babe brought a summery, Pacific Northwest feel to the historic Austin venue with performances of their songs  “Sometimes,” “Car Camping” and “Weekend Friend.” Goth Babe later tossed beach balls into the audience and brought back members of Sarah and the Sundays to crowd surf on a watermelon pool float, revving up the already energized crowd. 

Washburn seemed at ease with the crowd, stopping to appreciate a young fan’s “I love Goth Babe” sign before splitting the venue in half for an interactive competition with the audience during the interludes of “Encinitas.” He later chucked cupcakes into the screaming crowd while apologizing for being unable to find a gluten-free or vegan pack.

During “I Wanna Help Your Mind,” Washburn skipped a chorus to talk candidly about mental health — he revealed that he’s lost loved ones who felt unable to speak out and encouraged a normalization of mental health discussion.

“I love you guys so much,” Washburn said, clutching his microphone to his chest before continuing the song.

Washburn’s authentic gratitude for his fans became even more evident before his performance of his recent single, “Taking Over The Sun.” Washburn told the crowd that after his tiny home in Oregon burned down earlier this year and fans’ Venmo donations helped pay for new recording equipment and instruments, including the teal guitar he performed with during his set.

“We have come so far thanks to every single one of you guys,” Washburn said.

Donning long wigs during their encore, Washburn asked the crowd if the band could live out their 14-year-old selves’ dreams as they performed their rendition of The Killers’ “All These Things That I’ve Done.”

Overall, Goth Babe’s wholesome and energetic stage presence created a welcoming atmosphere for old and new fans, leaving their audience cheering for more long after their encore.