CFB Games to Watch – Week 7

Assad Malik/The Daily Texan

Coach Steve Sarkisian watches unranked Texas host No. 1 Alabama.

Christina Huang, Double Coverage Editor

No. 3 Alabama @ No. 6 Tennessee

Oct. 15, 2:30 p.m. CT, CBS

While Alabama is still one of the best teams in the nation, it has looked relatively weaker in recent weeks. Alabama starting quarterback Bryce Young sat out last week’s game against Texas A&M with an injury to his throwing shoulder. Young’s status for this Saturday’s matchup against Tennessee is still uncertain. If Young misses a second consecutive game, then Tennessee’s chances to beat Alabama at home go up dramatically. Tennessee is looking for a statement SEC win, and this Saturday seems to be the perfect chance for it to get one. 

No. 8 Oklahoma State @ No. 13 TCU

Oct. 15, 2:30 p.m. CT, ABC

The two highest ranked Big 12 teams face off against each other in Fort Worth on Saturday. TCU quarterback Max Duggan led his team to its first 5-0 start since 2017. when the Horned Frogs made it all the way to the Big 12 title game. Oklahoma State starting quarterback Spencer Sanders is right on par with Duggan, making this Saturday’s game a potential look at the Big 12 championship game in December. 

No. 16 Mississippi State @ No. 22 Kentucky

Oct. 15, 6:30 p.m. CT, SEC Network

Kentucky is on fraud alert after losing to South Carolina at home last weekend. The Wildcats could not get their offense going and were missing linebacker Jacquez Jones, one of their best defenders. If Kentucky wants to stop its skid in the rankings, then it needs to beat Mississippi State this Saturday. Mississippi State starting quarterback Will Rogers is the all-time leader in completions in the SEC. 

No. 7 USC @ No. 20 Utah

Oct. 15, 7:00 p.m. CT, FOX

Utah gets the chance to prove itself on Saturday when Lincoln Riley and USC rolls into Salt Lake City. After a loss to No. 11 UCLA last weekend in Los Angeles, Utah is running out of opportunities to show itself as one of the Pac-12’s best football teams. USC is finally facing a ranked team for the first time this weekend. This game could very well be the Trojans’ first statement win in the Lincoln Riley era.