Liveshot: French nu-disco band L’Impératrice closes out world tour with grandiose ACL performance

Peyton Sims

The band L’lmpératrice performs at Austin City Limits on Oct. 14, 2022.

Reya Mosby, Life&Arts Editor

As the warm late afternoon sun descended upon the bustling crowd that seemed to stretch for miles, French music sensation L’Impératrice stepped on stage. In a matter of seconds, the nu-disco sextet electrified the sun-soaked audience with their psychedelic pop sound and engaging stage presence. 

In the past few years, the French pop band L’Impératrice, founded in 2012, has garnered global attention. The group gained a new following of American listeners after their standout set at this year’s Coachella. Their wide following showed up and showed out at their set on the Barton Springs Stage.

We need you guys to dance as if it’s the last show of your life. Are you ready, Austin?

— Flore Benguigui, L'Impératice lead singer

This ACL performance marked the last show on L’Impératrice’s world tour, creating a grandiose feel for the set. From the beginning, the buzz of ending their two-part international tour evidently set the band on fire, shooting energy into L’Impératrice that was reciprocated by the audience. Lead singer Flore Benguigui even went on to call the audience to their feet, encouraging them to make it a show they would never forget. 

“We’re going to need you to make this thing feel more special,” Benguigui said. “We need you guys to dance as if it’s the last show of your life. Are you ready, Austin?”

The performance remained packed with songs like “Submarine” that showcased complex disco-infused instrumentals supporting Benguigui’s ethereal vocals. The spacey synths, funk-inspired bass lines, fast-paced piano melodies and delicate vocals reminiscent of AURORA, all came together to create a blissfully psychedelic show that left the whole audience dancing along and participating throughout its entirety. 

While the whole set remained an upbeat dance party during its hourlong slot, one song in particular, “Voodoo?,” breathed a new level of light and life into the audience. With a teaser explanation from Benguigui and the opening bass line to the song, the crowd erupted into cheers upon hearing the fan favorite. Benguigui strutted around the stage as her soft harmonies and thrilling nu-disco instrumental cascaded into Zilker Park. This show served as a celebration of L’Impératrice, their album and their unique sound, providing the perfect ending to their breakout tour.