Order on the Forty Acres: Texas Mock Trial prepares for new season

Logan Dubel, Life & Arts general reporter

During Texas Mock Trial’s case practices, they seek to argue whether or not a pilot acted negligently following a plane crash that left no survivors. Answering these questions will be the team’s job as they embark on a new season and argue this case at tournaments across the nation. 

The team will kick off its season with a tournament at the University of Georgia on Saturday before heading to tournaments at universities such as Emory and Northwestern later in the fall semester. Last spring, members qualified for the national competition for the first time in seven years. Mock Trial president Josianne Alwardi said she hopes to build on that momentum. 

“In the months preparing for this season, we were riding the wave of excitement, motivation (and) ambition because Texas is truly back, and we cannot wait to get to nationals again,” Alwardi, an international relations and global studies junior, said. “To keep a winning streak alive and represent our state, I can’t even explain to you how excited and motivated everyone on our team is.” 

To prepare for the competition, Alwardi said the 21-person team — divided into three separate teams — practices at least three times each week for several hours at a time, crafting witness portrayals and oral arguments. Alwardi said the team will return to UT on Dec. 27, cutting their winter break in half, showing their dedication to their success. In January, students will travel to invitational tournaments before beginning the official competition season, which could extend through April at the national tournament. 

With the organization leaning on its attorney coaches for support, Alwardi said the team also feels endless dedication for each other and their success. 

“It’s a huge time commitment. … That’s how committed my team is to each other. When you spend so much time with people and when you’re with a community that you see every single day, you’re dedicated to the same things,” Alwardi said. “They’re not just my friends (or) teammates, they’re my family.” 

While veteran member Madhavi Subramaniam said she and her teammates can’t put a price on the friendships they have made, they cannot ignore the expenses of competing. In a given year, members spend $2,500 on travel and accommodations, and the team does not receive direct University funding. 

“It’s a pretty expensive activity, so unfortunately, you can see the difference between teams that are completely self-funded, or teams that might have members who can afford to pay for more expensive clothing and materials,” Subramaniam, a radio-television-film senior, said. It would be so much easier if we actually had funding from UT.” 

Despite the costs, Alwardi said interest in the program remains high, with 200 students auditioning for just ten open spots last month. 

Eric Escobedo, a new member, said he looks forward to the next few years and all he will learn. 

“(Mock Trial) has so many benefits that aren’t just to help you get through college,” English sophomore Escobedo said. “It’s the skills that you’re learning that are going to help you in life — it helps you build character.”