Opponents to Watch – Oklahoma State

Courtesy of Mackenzie Janish/ The O'Colly

Oklahoma State defensive end Tyler Lacy

Matthew Caldwell, Sports Desk Editor

Both the offense and defense of the Cowboys got off to hot starts, but they slowed down quite a bit in the second half. The team went into halftime holding a 24-13 lead, but the offense only managed to score six points in the second half. The defense allowed the Horned Frogs to score 14 points in the fourth quarter.

After losing in double overtime, No. 11 Oklahoma State is looking to get things back on track with the help of three upperclassmen:

Spencer Sanders

It was a tale of two halves for redshirt senior quarterback Spencer Sanders this past Saturday. After scoring three touchdowns in the first half, including two rushing, Sanders fell into a lull. The Cowboys’ offense didn’t score another touchdown until the first overtime, but by then the Horned Frogs already mounted their comeback.

Sanders finished the game completing only 44% of his passes with one interception that came halfway through the fourth quarter, stopping a drive that had already worked itself into TCU territory.

Although Sanders struggled, his ability to scramble and create offense on broken down plays  makes him one of Oklahoma State’s best offensive weapons. He has a similar skillset to Alabama’s Bryce Young, who the Longhorns contained for the most part earlier this season.

Brennan Presley

Junior wide receiver Brennan Presley is coming off a six touchdown season. The Tulsa product finds himself as the team’s top wide receiver, and he’s stepped up so far. Although the touchdowns aren’t coming as frequently this year, Presley is an electric receiver who constantly puts pressure on opposing defenses.

He matched up against TCU’s best cornerback, Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, last week. Presley caught four balls for 39 yards. While he was held at bay for most of the game, his speed still makes him a central focus on each play.

Presley is often compared to DeVonta Smith, Heisman winner and former Alabama wide receiver, because of his small size and elite speed. Because of these factors, Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy likes to utilize Presley in quick jet sweeps and motion.

The Longhorns defense will need to be on top of things if they want to contain Presley in the same way TCU did.

Tyler Lacy

Redshirt senior defensive end Tyler Lacy is the backbone of Oklahoma State’s defense. In each of his past three seasons, Lacy finished with over 20 total tackles. So far this year, the 6-foot-4-inch defensive end has totaled 23 tackles and three sacks in the first six games.

He also leads the team in tackles for loss at 8.5 for 34 yards, two of which come from the double overtime loss to TCU.

Texas’ offensive line will need to gameplan for Lacy, or he’ll blow up plays.