Why your vote matters

Megan Tran, Faith DuFresne, and Thasin Kamal

Early voting will take place from Oct. 24 to Nov. 4, and Election Day is Nov. 8. Those registered in Travis County can vote on campus at the Flawn Academic Center and LBJ School of Public Affairs. In-person voters will need to show an approved state-issued ID. 

Elections are always a contentious time, and this year’s midterms are no different. 

While there are many forms of civic participation, voting is a key way to take an active role in your community and elect politicians who represent your values. We want you to make your voice heard and vote — regardless of who you plan to vote for. 

For this forum, we asked members of the Austin community about the importance of voting. We made a point of reaching out to Democrats, Republicans, a third-party group and non-partisan voting advocacy organizations. While we got several submissions from the Democratic side, Julian Anderson from the Young Conservatives of Texas Association was the only Republican to respond. Due to editorial choices and space limitations, this forum project does not include all submitted pieces.

In this forum project: 

Steve Adler, mayor of Austin and UT Law alumnus, discusses the issues at stake on the Nov. 8 ballot and emphasizes the power of student votes.    

Julian Anderson, chairman of the Young Conservatives of Texas Association, believes that Republican candidates prioritize student safety and well-being.

Brian Peña, treasurer of University Democrats, expresses excitement over high student registration and argues that electing Beto O’Rourke would push Texas in the right direction. 

Sofia Albini, president of Students for Zo and Longhorn Progressives, argues that voting allows UT students to take an active role in creating the laws affecting their communities. 

Kathie Tovo, council member for Austin City Council District 9 and UT alumna, hopes that student voter participation will increase so that politicians who believe in progressive measures can be elected. 

The forum team consists of forum editors Faith DuFresne, Thasin Kamal, and editor-in-chief Megan Tran. As always, if you have any thoughts on this topic or any other, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].